SWCG (IC40) Does not shut off..

ms,

When the pump is off your IC40 should have no lights at all..

You say you have "full automation", but that could mean several things.

What specific automation system do you have?

A picture of your panel would be great.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Re: Correct wiring for SWG

Jim could you send some pics of how to properly wire the ic40 so i can have my electrician get it roght

Here is a pic of an Easytouch system.. (I assume that is what you have...)

dbtgallery.php

An actual electrician, with a weeks worth of experience, won't need the picture as it is pretty clear as to what needs to happen. The power to the large (SWCG) transformer MUST be run through the Pump/Filter relay so that when the pump is off, the SWCG does not get any electrical power. There is a note on the transformer which calls out this requirement. The pump/filter relay is normally the upper left relay, unless someone has wired it differently.

In the picture you can see where the relay gets 220 volts power and when the relay closes it sends the AC down the Yellow and White wires to the Transformer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, i will get the panel pics to you. It is an EasyTouch 8. i have pool school at the house tomorrow and i expect the guy to tell me the "flow sensor" is all the protection i need but i am OCD about that stuff. Can the EAsytouch be wired to where the IC only turns on when the intelliflo "spools up" or do i need just a separate timer wired in for the IC

The flow switch on the IC40 is a secondary shut off. The primary is the ET that disconnects the power to the IC40 when the pump relay is shut down. DO NOT let the pool builder leave it as is. It is an explosive hazard leaving the potential for the SWCG to be powered on without water flow.

Follow Jim's advice.

Take care.

Thanks Jim, i will get the panel pics to you. It is an EasyTouch 8. i have pool school at the house tomorrow and i expect the guy to tell me the "flow sensor" is all the protection i need but i am OCD about that stuff. Can the EAsytouch be wired to where the IC only turns on when the intelliflo "spools up" or do i need just a separate timer wired in for the IC

ms,

If your ET8 has the internal SWCG power supply, ask your pool builder why they did not follow the directions printed on the transformer. With an ET you don't need an additional timer, you just use the contacts of the Pump/Filter relay.

Jim R.

So jim. Lawyer here so bear with me. I thought the intelliflo was on all the time basically sonhowndoes the swg know when to turn on

mk is et shorthand for external timer. Is that what i need

ms,

In the old days, the pump/filter relay actually controlled a single speed pump. The single speed pump and the SWCG were both turned on/off at the same time by the Pump/Filter relay.

With an IntelliFlo, as you pointed out, the AC power is connected from the GFCI circuit breaker directly to the pump. This power does not go through any relays.. But the Pump/Filter relay still only comes on when the EasyTouch tells the pump to turn on. By wiring the AC power for the salt cell through the Pump/Filter relay, the only time the cell will get power is when the pump is running.

The IntelliFlo may get AC power all the time, but that does not mean it has to run 24/7.. So if you schedule your pump to run from 7 am until 7 pm, that is when the pump will run and that is the only time that the salt system will have power.

You do NOT need an external timer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a little time to get it right as i have a new ic40 on way. The one hooked up now is toast. I will get it wired right before installing new one. Is the install basically plug and play. Do i need to silicone lube any orings ?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good. I can only hope it was wored right for the other stuff. I know i have had the gfci tripping and some breakers tripping sonce i moved in. That issue may have been why they wired it the way they did

ms,

What is wrong with the current IC40? Depending on what is wrong, it could be worth keeping for future troubleshooting.

Although if you keep it, you will never need it. You'll only need it if you throw it away. :p

It is basically plug and play, but it never hurts to lube an O-Ring... there is one on either end.

Just make sure you replace it with the power off, just to make sure you don't damage anything.

When you first power the unit up, there will be about five minutes of flashing lights.. Just doing a calibration, so don't get to excited and start suing some one.. :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

ms,

The pump's GFCI breaker can false trip due to line noise. Pentair actually sells a special breaker for the IntelliFlo, that in theory helps prevent this problem..

Not sure how special it is, but my pool builder installed one on my pool, and there is no way he would have spent the money if there was not a good reason..

Jim R.

Jim
this has been awesome information. The ic40 is basically old and has worn blades so no chlorine. Since it is not producing can i leave as is until electrician can come out or should i leave intelliflo running until then. I will try to get panel pics today after pool school. This explosion concern has me nervous

Last edited:
Jim
this has been awesome information. The ic40 is basically old and has worn blades so no chlorine. Since it is not producing can i leave as is until electrician can come out or should i leave intelliflo running until then. I will try to get panel pics today after pool school. This explosion concern has me nervous

Jim
i have attached a picture of my panel. My lawyer brain tells me they wired the ic40 to the pump "breaker" not the relay. Is this something i can tackle or call the electrician buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 68
ms,

The fact that a SWCG cell can blow up does not mean it will actually blow up. Think of it as the air bags in your car.. You are not worried that they will go off every time you drive your car, but you sure want them, just in case they are needed. The safety devices for the salt system (removing power when the pump is off and the flow switch) act as the air bags for your salt cell.. It is something to get fixed, but it is not an emergency.

From the picture I suggest you let the lawyer in you hire an electrician, hopefully with some pool equipment knowledge. :p

I say this because they are using the relay in the upper left for something, but I doubt it is for the pump/filter function. Someone needs to see which relay is set up for the pump/filter function and wire the Yellow and White transformer wires so they only get power when the pump/filter relay is closed.

It appears to me that you only have one 120 volt GFCI Circuit Breaker. I suspect it is being used to power your lights.

Not sure what the rules are in your area, but I would have "assumed" that all pumps have to be on GFCI breakers, a local electrician would know for sure.

It is time for you to complete your signature so that we don't have to be guessing what equipment you have.. see my signature for an example.

Since you are having pool school today, I suggest you ask for their opinion on how things look inside your panel and then get a contact number from your instructor for an electrician.

When you have your pool school, I would listen to everything they have to say that is about the equipment and how the pool works. I would let everything they say about chemicals go in one ear and out the other. :cool:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Wire colors may or may not be important.. an electrician would know when it matters..

Will fill out profile jim. Pool school was great. Only issue was wiring. Pool guy wired up board like yours and cell would not turn on. It would only function in breaker. He is claiming that swg runs to a separate board first that he showed my that controls production. Thus i am at wits end woth this issue

ms,

Just like there are all different kinds of lawyers, there are all different kinds of pool people. Just because the guys knows a little about how to use the EasyTouch does not mean he has a clue how they work or how they need to be wired.

Your EasyTouch has an internal power supply, which includes the big transformer you can see, plus a small board which makes DC voltage out of the AC voltage supplied by the transformer. As I have said, a few times now, the AC power into the transformer MUST we wired through the Pump/Filter relay.

Please do yourself a favor and get an electrician to look at your panel and wire it correctly.

If you want to continue on your own... here is what you need to do...

1. Drop the panel with the little display and buttons.
2. Look at the back of the panel and you will see where all the relays plug in.. one will say Pump/Filter and the other will say Aux1, Aux 2, etc.
3. Find the connector that is marked Pump/Filter and follow the two little red wires and see which physical relay those two wires are connect to.

Once you identify which is the pump/filter relay, post back and I will try to post directions on what to do next. Please use your picture for reference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.