Gold Supporter
Jul 23, 2021
Atascadero, Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Running the numbers for chlorine maintenance costs.
Would someone please check this? I'm making some generalizations...

23000 gallon pool
Jun-Sept : 2 ppm per day = 240 ppm
Oct-May : 1 ppm per day = 240 ppm
480 ppm per year

1 ppm (my pool) is .191820 pounds - (23000 * 8.34 / 1000000)
480 ppm = 92.0736 pounds Cl

10% Cl has .834 lbs/gal
480 ppm = 110.4 gallons

$4.49 / gal of HDX at my Home Depot -> $495 per year.

Initial purchase price for an SWCG is similar to 2-3 years of liquid chlorine for my pool.

Thnx,
Bill

I ran similar #s a while back and figured the break even point for anyone was 12k-15k gallons. All the environmental factors cancel each other out. Longer season in FL means longer SWG runtime *and* many more equivalent gallons of LC. Prices are high right now for both also, so that pretty much cancels each other out as well. With my 35k upcoming build I’m expecting a 2:1 payback from the SWG (3 years break even point and the SWG lasts 6+) like I saw with my last 35k pool.

@Mdragger88 did her own napkin math and reached a similar conclusion.

I went SWG right out the gate when I saw the ease of use and just about the same or cheaper cost of using liquid chlorine.. :)

Not to be a Debbie downer but most salt cells stop producing chlorine at water temps around 55/60 degrees so u will still be dosing w/ liquid chlorine for that period of time. In my calculation I don’t account for this since i close my pool for the winter which i am assuming u don’t do based on the October- may part of your math. Not sure how negatively that will affect your overall costs. Here’s my recent calculation based on my area & pool.
BDDAC411-80BC-4E7A-BDBA-D1A2F607E151.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys you forgot to put a price to the enjoyment of the chlorineless pool when you can just set n forget for a week at a time. You know its like going on vacation but you need to pay for it.
I think it was Jim who said “with a salt pool you feel like you took a shower vs needing one after you swim”. That’s 100% true, unused to feel sticky after swimming but not anymore

Reactions: Newdude
... but most salt cells stop producing chlorine at water temps around 55/60 degrees so u will still be dosing w/ liquid chlorine ...
Thanks, I missed that in the manuals. I really don't know what the pool temp is in the winter months. I'll keep an eye on it this year.

And thanks for the alternative breakdown, that's what I was hoping for.

I think a lot of us are trying to say a SWG has a lot of positives just above cost. I bought mine in Jan 2020 and read all the horror stories about folks not finding chlorine !
My edge 40 has also gone from $850 to $1250 so its a harder decision for sure.
Honestly don’t think I would have paid $1250 and hope mine last a long time.

I think a lot of us are trying to say a SWG has a lot of positives just above cost. I bought mine in Jan 2020 and read all the horror stories about folks not finding chlorine !
My edge 40 has also gone from $850 to $1250 so its a harder decision for sure.
Honestly don’t think I would have paid $1250 and hope mine last a long time.
Yes to all those things you said. I started thinking about an swcg because I think ran into a batch of lower strength chlorine. I manually dosed with LC for a couple of summers/years and I'm on my third summer with LC injection. I have a very good feel for what the pool consumes but this year something was out of whack with injection times. I thought I was going crazy. I didn't have poolmath at the time, just a drawer full of 5"x3" pocket memo books. Anyway that and the LC supply chain problem and, if I can believe the pool store, my pool already has 1900 ppm salt got me thinking about an SWCG. If the cost is comparable it sounds like a no-brainer.

Yes to all those things you said. I started thinking about an swcg because I think ran into a batch of lower strength chlorine. I manually dosed with LC for a couple of summers/years and I'm on my third summer with LC injection. I have a very good feel for what the pool consumes but this year something was out of whack with injection times. I thought I was going crazy. I didn't have poolmath at the time, just a drawer full of 5"x3" pocket memo books. Anyway that and the LC supply chain problem and, if I can believe the pool store, my pool already has 1900 ppm salt got me thinking about an SWCG. If the cost is comparable it sounds like a no-brainer.
You won’t regret it just get the Taylor salt test kit ( 1766 I think ) and should be set.
They might drop the prices in a few months but with prices jumping up who knows. Discount salt he mine on a $1 upgrade sale.
But I spent $900 on that and $700 on a robot a few months before COVAD hit in Marchand none of us knew if we would have a job or survive so had 2nd thoughts for a few months :)

The price has dropped by $200 for the universal 55 since i did my “napkin math” & in some places liquid chlorine has increased in price so the “payback “ time for swg’s is definitely more promising now than even a few months ago. The convenience factor is the real winner especially with the availability of liquid chlorine being hit or miss randomly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.