SWCG and automatic chlorinator questions

jsternberg

Dec 10, 2020
Addison, TX
Hi, I'm currently in construction of a pool. We will be using a salt-water chlorine generator and we had communicated this to our builder. I had been under the impression that because we were using an SWCG that we would not need an automatic chlorinator (trichlor dispenser). A few days ago when I was looking at the pool equipment, I saw that he had ordered both the SWCG and the automatic chlorinator. When I asked him about it, he said that the automatic chlorinator was still needed because the SWCG could not operate when the water was too cold.

The first thing I want to ask is if this is a normal setup for an SWCG? My understanding is trichlor isn't necessarily bad, but you should be careful about using it and measure the CYA level directly. I already have the TF-100 so it has a CYA measuring kit inside of it. At the same time, I am skeptical about his advice because my general understanding is that pool builders aren't very good at pool chemistry and he's told me things about the chemistry that are standard pool store maintenance but aren't TFP maintenance. My inclination is to tell him, "No, we don't want the automatic chlorinator at all," but I wanted to get an understanding of how others with SWCGs had their systems set up.

Is it normal to pair an SWCG with an automatic chlorinator so the automatic chlorinator functions when it is cold and the SWCG cannot operate?

I'm aware CYA is still needed for the SWCG and a higher level of CYA. How do all of you introduce CYA to your pool? Is an automatic chlorinator the best way to gradually increase your CYA or to just throw a few trichlor pucks in and wait a few days?

How do you keep your pool chlorinated during the winter months? I live in Texas so it gets cold enough that you're no longer swimming, but it doesn't really get cold enough that you would winterize it.

Thank you for any help.

EDIT: Oh just in case it is relevant, we are using the Aquapure as the SWCG.

Only in Texas.
You can add a touch of liquid chlorine every week during winter to maintain FC levels. The SWCG will stop creating chlorine at around 50F water temperature.

J,

I don't think it is a big deal one way or the other...

In the winter I just use Liquid Chlorine, but using tabs works well also, as long as you keep an eye on the CYA.

Once the water temps get below about 52 degrees, it does not take much chlorine to keep your FC up.

I don't have a tab feeder on my pool and see no reason to install one. But, the world won't end if you have a tab feeder installed.

I add CYA using a ladies knee-high stocking that I hang in front of a running return line.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A little of both. Only in Texas do pool builders insist on installing a tablet thing with a SWCG. Every other place in the world it is not done. They are not needed.

Hey J !! The CYA test gets wonky with cold water so no matter which way you go you want to warm it up to room temps first next winter.

my $.02 is the feeder won’t hurt you and it may even come in handy occasionally. Like if you took an extended winter vacation to somewhere warmer and had some wiggle room with your CYA. It would kill 3 birds with one stone. You could raise the CYA with the tabs, keep the FC in range while away *AND* focus more on enjoying the vacation.

Reactions: lisajustine
A little of both. Only in Texas do pool builders insist on installing a tablet thing with a SWCG. Every other place in the world it is not done. They are not needed.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So it's just a weird quirk of pool builders in Texas. It sounds to me like there's a good chance I'll never end up using the device. It seems to me that even if I tried to use it for gradually raising the CYA while I was away, I'd end up creating more work for myself because then I'd need to also perform chlorine tests remotely to make sure I had it set to the correct amount.
Hey J !! The CYA test gets wonky with cold water so no matter which way you go you want to warm it up to room temps first next winter.
Thanks for the tip. Just to clarify, this means that I should just bring the water inside and then wait an hour or however long for it to warm up before performing the test.

Thanks for the tip. Just to clarify, this means that I should just bring the water inside and then wait an hour or however long for it to warm up before performing the test.
Yes. Most of the tests don’t matter if the water is cold. But the CYA test does. Just keep in the back of your mind for next year because it won’t be an issue for quite some time. Lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

my $.02 is the feeder won’t hurt you and it may even come in handy occasionally. Like if you took an extended winter vacation to somewhere warmer and had some wiggle room with your CYA. It would kill 3 birds with one stone. You could raise the CYA with the tabs, keep the FC in range while away *AND* focus more on enjoying the vacation.
Did not know that about CYA & cold water... At what temp does it start to go wonky? The water is 68 degrees right now and has been in that range for a for a week or so. Thank you.

Did not know that about CYA & cold water... At what temp does it start to go wonky? The water is 68 degrees right now and has been in that range for a for a week or so. Thank you.

40 degrees.

At 68 degrees your CYA test should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.