Superflo VST 1.5 HP or Intelliflo VSF 3.0HP for 10k gallon w/spa & waterfall?

honkon

Feb 20, 2020
Charleston, SC
Hi all,
I have a dying single speed Pentair Superflo 2 HP pump controlled via EasyTouch 4. I am interested in upgrading to a variable speed pump, but am getting conflicting advice.

Pool details:
- 10k gallons saltwater w/spa & waterfall
- 2" pipe
- Cartridge filter (filter area 450, max flow rate 125 gpm)
- I'm in the southeast, so the pool runs 365 days/year

Here is what I'm seeing:
- Pentair Superflo VST 1.5 HP for ~$1250 (+ communication cable) and I install it myself (which I feel comfortable with since I wouldn't even need to re-pipe the unions, etc.
- Pentair Intelliflo3 VSF 3 HP for ~$1700, but would need to plumb it in, which I don't really want to mess with
- Superflo installed by pool company $1850 (so I would have a warranty?)
- Intelliflo3 installed by pool company $3000 (partially driven by the plumbing labor)

Is there any reason that I should jump to the intelliflo? I don't mind the cost difference (though it seems crazy) if the long-term benefits are there (better efficiency, easier automation, better durability).

Is 1.5 HP reasonable for the spa & waterfall?

I would consider WhisperFlo, but nobody seems to know about them (or stock them) around here…

Thank you for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_7127.jpeg
    IMG_7127.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to TFP.

Do you run your spa and waterfall at the same time?

No one can tell you if the Superflo VST 1.5 HP pump will give you satisfactory spa jet pressure and waterfall flow. Only you can judge if you will be happy having a bit less then what you have now with your 2HP pump.

The IntelliFlo3 will give you more flow then you have now and you can adjust the speeds for whatever flow rate you want.

The IntelliFlo3 is the safe choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.