SuperFlo VS + GL-235 Solar controller?

DiyDave

Feb 18, 2021
Florida
I just had the SuperFlo variable speed installed with communication cable and I had an existing GL-235 (Aquastar II) controller controlling the solar valves. The installer and I couldn't figure out where to hookup the communication cable to the GL-235 to tell the pump to engage higher speed when solar heating is going on. There are booster pump screw terminals, but the wiring diagram seems to imply those are high voltage.

I've seen some references on this forum where the combination is compatible, but I didn't see what they did to wire them up. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

There are now two versions of the Superflo VS pump being sold. Was yours manufactured before or after 11/2/2020?

Dave,

Tell us the part number of the pump..

Is it the VS or VST version?

The newer VST units appear to have an RS-485 com port... the VS version appear to have the the older discrete voltage control cable...

What does you manual say about remote control??

Thanks,

Jim R.

The following instructions only apply to SuperFlo VST and SuperMax® VS pumps manufactured after 10/15/20.

It looks like the date could be October 15 2020 from the manual.

There should be a barcode sticker on the front of the pump with a manufacturing date.

In any case it's good that they finally got the ability to operate from automation.

:goodjob:

In any case it's good that they finally got the ability to operate from automation.
I hope that is true, but the way I read it, only the VST and SuperMAX have the RS-485.. The VS still only has the discrete input cable, no matter when it was manufactured.

Dave,

Tell me what the end of the cable looks like.. One end has a connector, what does the other end looks like. Does it just have two wires or does it have 6 or more wires..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The following instructions only apply to SuperFlo VST and SuperMax® VS pumps manufactured after 10/15/20.

It looks like the date could be October 15 2020 from the manual.
And could be 11/2/20 based on the website. Typical Pentair.

51D10556-F54E-4282-85DA-2C079DADC25F.png

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
9/16/2020 is the manufacturing date

Then you don't have the RS-485 by either cutoff date.

Let's see if you live up to your DIY name.

The manual for your GL-235 is at https://advancesolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/AquaSolarGL-235.pdf

Page 3 figure shows it has a high voltage output that will give 120V or 240V to the terminals when it commands a pump on.

The manual for your SuperfloVS pump is at https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...rflovs-variable-speed-pump-manual-english.pdf

Page 5 shows how the pump can be controlled by an internal +5v output.

So the GL-235 and the Superflo VS cannot be directly connected.

You need to get a 120V or 240V relay that you connect to the GL-235 outputs and then connect one the Superflo VS lines to the relay so the low voltage control is triggered when the GL-235 engages the relay.

Your other choice is returning your pump, if you can, and replacing it with a Pentair pump with RS-485 and replacing the GL-235 with the Pentair Solar Touch controller.

That is my take on your situation. Let's see if anyone else has other ideas for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.