SuperFlo now makes a loud reverberating noise when turning on?

monktastic

Feb 3, 2024
Austin, TX
I have a 2 HP SuperFlo (for my water feature) from probably 2007 that I paid a guy to rebuild the motor on. It now makes this terrible reverberating noise when powered on. Any guesses as to what it might be?

I'm not sure how best to share audio clips, but I uploaded it here: Water feature pump loud noise

My main pump (which is also a 2 HP SuperFlo) doesn't sound anything like that.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like noise from the air and water while the pump is priming.

You may have got a leak somewhere in the system that let's air in when the pump is off.

Sounds like noise from the air and water while the pump is priming.

You may have got a leak somewhere in the system that let's air in when the pump is off.
Thank you! If I turn the pump off and then immediately on, it still happens (so no time for new air to get in). Does that narrow it down at all? Anything else I can do to "debug"?

Also, is it likely to shorten the lifespan of the motor? If it's just a minor annoyance, I can live with it.

Thank you! If I turn the pump off and then immediately on, it still happens (so no time for new air to get in). Does that narrow it down at all? Anything else I can do to "debug"?

Also, is it likely to shorten the lifespan of the motor? If it's just a minor annoyance, I can live with it.
I have heard that type of noise from pumps starting up.

Whatever it is, it is.

Nothing you can do about it now.

Run it until it fails whether that is in 10 days or 10 years.

I have heard that type of noise from pumps starting up.

Whatever it is, it is.

Nothing you can do about it now.

Run it until it fails whether that is in 10 days or 10 years.
Well, the guy I hired wants to try various things to fix it right, and I'd love to be able to point him in the right direction. If people here think it's normal, I'll tell him to stop. Or if nobody knows, I'll let him try things (like replacing the spring). Thanks for your suggestions!

If you show some pictures of your setup we can possibly advise perhaps a check valve somewhere to save re-priming going on. Possibly the O ring on the lid needing replacement or at minimum some gasket lube and the same goes for the two drain plugs on the lower portion of the pump.

E3634636-152E-43C0-A55C-F2DEC7258506.jpeg
It could be slight rubbing on the impellar and diffuser. The flange bolt looks corroded and could be pulling away from the wet end through vibration. I would check if the impellar spins freely 360 degrees without any snags.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could be slight rubbing on the impellar and diffuser. The flange bolt looks corroded and could be pulling away from the wet end through vibration. I would check if the impellar spins freely 360 degrees without any snags.
The whole motor has been replaced. As far as he can tell, the impeller does spin freely. He did have some trouble finding the right o-rings though!

The whole motor has been replaced. As far as he can tell, the impeller does spin freely. He did have some trouble finding the right o-rings though!
It is normal on pumps that are on an open line, like a water feature. Don't know the exact reason, but it seems that once the flow in and out of the pump balances the noise stops. It isn't a mechanical issue but more a waterflow one. Have never seen it damage a pump.

My experience is the same. It's normal.
We never even think twice when pumps do it. I can't even say for sure how often we see it, it's that often. No more failures than any other circumstance. Pumps on an IFCS bounce like that sometimes too with a zone change.

It's sort of like water hammer. This is actually well represented when you purge the line of all the air and the backpressure can't build in that hartford loop above your pump.

Even though not all feature lines do it, my estimation is that filter lines do it less often because the filter itself acts as an expansion tank of sorts. This may not be science. Just observational.