Super Pump motor

Mike1162

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
N Tonawanda, NY
Looks like it's time for a new pump or motor. I was planning on putting in new bearings & seal during the off season but when I took it apart the plastic that holds the switch contacts & capacitor was broken where each of the four screws are. The centrifugal switch was also very brittle and fell apart while trying to get it off the shaft. I don't think either of these parts are available for the GE motor.
1st pic is the label on the pump. Manufactured in March 2012.
2nd pic is the original pump motor. This literally went up in smoke two seasons ago.
3rd pic is the GE motor mentioned above that I had from a previous pump that had a cracked housing.

Pump seems fine & was stored inside 7 months a year. Is it worth putting a new motor on a 10 year old pump?

IMG_0839.JPGIMG_0909.JPGIMG_0912.JPG

You can match a new motor with same specs to go onto the wet end you have but maybe now would be a good time to upgrade to either a two speed or vs motor or if the wet end is old just go for a complete new pump. A motor similar to what you have is under $200 but they're not efficient.

Pool season is five months at best & I normally run pump 6 hours a day so I'm not sure VS would have a good pay back. Two speed might be a better option. If I went with a 1 hp two speed would I also want an impeller for a 1 hp motor or should it be different impeller since it'll be running half speed most of the time.

Looks like the only two speed motor is 240 volts & I'm wired for 120.
Inyo has two 3/4 hp motors. Standard is $167.99. Energy Efficient is $303.99. The energy efficient could use 33% less energy. Would the EE run cooler & possibly last longer?

May not have 220 so maybe a dead point but the biggest advantage to a VS pump is noise level IMHO. Sure my power bill dropped a lot but I was ok with the cost

I had a similar pump like yours and would turn it off when we had company. With my new pump I literally have to look at the pressure gauge to see if it’s running it’s so quiet

I'd have to run 220 from the electrical panel in the basement. My timer would also have to be changed. I'm going to stay with the single speed 120 volts this time.
I found the same energy efficient motor on Ebay for $80 less than Inyo.
Ebay - A1 Pool & Spas

I also need a new pump seal. There seems to be dozens out there. Is there one that's considered the best? @JamesW

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the pump runs at 3,450 rpm for 201 days, the seal will rotate 1 billion times.

That is a lot to ask of a seal.

This is why the regular seal with a plastic primary ring should never be used.

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Is Sealube just used to install the seal into the seal plate or is it also used between the mating surfaces of the seal?
I can get 1 cc of Sealube for $11.50 or 4 oz (60x more) for $28.50.
1 cc would be enough if just used for installation.
4 oz could be a better deal if used between the mating surfaces whenever the pump is disassembled.

Is Sealube just used to install the seal into the seal plate or is it also used between the mating surfaces of the seal?
I can get 1 cc of Sealube for $11.50 or 4 oz (60x more) for $28.50.
1 cc would be enough if just used for installation.
4 oz could be a better deal if used between the mating surfaces whenever the pump is disassembled.
Nothing on the mating surfaces, not even a fingerprint. Get yourself educated of how to change the shaft seal because a slight misalignment will have you tear into it again when the pump will be oozing water from a shaft leak. Ask me how I know :brickwall:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike1162
So how often do you think bearings & seals should be changed?
About once or twice a week is a good frequency for seals and bearings.

:p

But seriously, if you get the better quality seal, it should last a long time.

I would not worry about replacing the seals unless there is a leak.

The key is to check frequently for leaks and replace the seal right away if there is a leak.

This means have a seal on standby and be ready to change it immediately.

Bearings should last a long time unless they get wet.

Bearings are a pain to replace and I would generally not replace bearings.

About once or twice a week is a good frequency for seals and bearings.

:p

But seriously, if you get the better quality seal, it should last a long time.

I would not worry about replacing the seals unless there is a leak.

The key is to check frequently for leaks and replace the seal right away if there is a leak.

This means have a seal on standby and be ready to change it immediately.

Bearings should last a long time unless they get wet.

Bearings are a pain to replace and I would generally not replace bearings.
My pump started leaking and I didn’t catch it until the bearing made noise😳
It rained a lot and the pad stayed damp but won’t do that again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.