Super High CYA?

May 30, 2016
Blandon, PA
So we took the cover off the pool, and it's green. I learned a lot from this forum last year, including investing in a proper kit to SLAM the pool. I figured we would start the SLAM process, so I checked the CYA level so I know what my FC should be. When I tested it the dot disappeared even before the 100 line? I have no idea how it would have even gotten that high! Last year we kept it around 40, and didn't put any additional stabilizer in. We also never use the powder, only straight liquid after reading these forums. Now that my CYA is so high my FC will need to at ridiculous levels during the SLAM process.

What do you all recommend? Can I lower the CYA? Will it burn off? I'm just confused now!

Thank you in advance!

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Hubby was in the hospital - it was ugly. Anyway, did the rest again - sunny day but the sun at my back and it is 100. I honest to God haven't added stabilizer for at least a year. When we closed up last year we were running around 40. Any suggestions?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Hubby was in the hospital - it was ugly. Anyway, did the rest again - sunny day but the sun at my back and it is 100. I honest to God haven't added stabilizer for at least a year. When we closed up last year we were running around 40. Any suggestions?

Stabilizer is pretty, well, stable. It does not increase unless you add it, and it does not decrease unless you change out water. Are you SURE you did not add ANYTHING to the pool when you closed it. No skimmer sticks, no tabs in a floater, no bags of powdered "shock", no "oxidizing shock" included in a winter closing kit.

If you CYA really is 100, you are going to have to do a partial water change to get it back down. But, if it was 40 at closing, and nothing was added to the pool, then it should be 40 now (or even lower, if rain water got in the pool)

-dave

Did you have a pool company come to your house to close your pool last year? My very brief experience in discussing with two pool companies so far, they absolutely LOVE stabilizer no matter what CYA level you have to the point where I had to raise my voice at this guy we paid to open our pool that I didn't want him to add more as the test says it's already way too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.