Super Alkaline water...

May 23, 2018
Bristow, OK
ok, here is what I am getting with a taylor test kit from Leslie Pools

FC: 2.2ppm
CC: .6ppm
PH: under 7 right now....but I added 2 gallons of muriatic acid this morning...and I am arating
TA: 160 ppm
CH: 40 ppm
CYA: 60-65 (we lost some water and are filling...I expect this will be just under 60 when full again)

OK....so TA is still about 160....since we filled this pool (Intex 32*16*about 48" deep) we have put in over 6 gallons of Muratic acid and letting PH come back up.
Is it really possible our water is that low of a PH? The first time I was getting TA around 400ppm. Is there any harm in just continuing to follow the process....add acid, let PH bounce back up until I get TA in line?
Once I do...will PH continue to rise or will it settle once I have the TA in check?

I live in rural Oklahoma...and on well water.

Never lower your pH below 7.2. When it gets to 7.5, lower to 7.2. With some aerating, it should rise in a few hours to a day with your higher TA.

More importantly, keep you FC up in target range for your CYA. How high FC can your test kit measure?

Lowering TA is something you do when everything else is working flawlessly and you're bored. It has nothing to do with water clarity or chlorine consumption, so don;t sweat it. Worry instead about that low FC.

And a tip: don't test to the .2. Use 10 ml water and one scoop of powder and have each drop count as .5 FC. It is precise enough for us. Saves reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.