Sundance Spa Circulation Pump and heater issue.

T95

Aug 1, 2022
Cupertino, CA
I have an early 850 series Capri spa I have owned operated and repaired for upwards of 15 years. I recently developed an issue that I have been unable to fix. So last week I noticed when I called for heat the circulation pump will come on for about 6 seconds, then shut down. As the cir pup pulses I can feel short blast of heated water and can hear the relay cycling. This issue started slowly and took maybe 6 cycles before operating normal, ( cir pum on with heat) to now taking thirty cycles befor operating normal.
Flo code cycles with temp. Circulation pump cycle set to 00:00.
So I suspected the flow switch even though I replaced it three months ago. I pulled the cover expecting to find debris interupting the activation of the switch but it was clear. I observed the switch attempting to close but the circ pump shuts off prior to building enough flo to shut the switch. And this process repeats over and over. Activating the main pump had no effect.
I mistakenly though i could jump the switch but that just put me into a constant Flo error. I have not tested the current flo switch
I removed and cleaned the filter no improvment.
Ran the system without the filter-no improvment
So I had the heater relay replaced once and then did it again myself. I found the original relays to be inferior to the newer replacments i purchased and now have additional relays if needed. i would appreciat any help in isolating my problem, and how to test relays for complete operation. Thanks in advance!

I made another attempt yesterday to isolate my issue, but failed. I tested the fuses, and power feed to the relays and everything seemed acceptable. I can hear the K1 relay snap open and closed. The sequence seems to be, as the system temp is increased the K1 relay closes and calls for the circ pump to come on. The flo through the heater then closes the flo switch which activates the heater. I can hear a secondary click of a relay but cant confirm its location. I originally thought there might be a reduction in flo keeping the flo switch from closing. I now suspect the circ pump is shutting down before the flo switch can close, but why?
I used a long screwdriver as a stethoscope in an attempt to locate which relays were activated. My only postive was on the K1 which was loud enough to hear an initial latching without the stethoscope, but I also detected a faint arching (static) sound.
Anothe question is about the function of each relay. Looking at the wiring schmatic my interpation is the K1 relay activates the K2 & K3 relays to fire the heater.
K4, K5 & K6 fire the pump/pumps. K7 cover circulation pump and K8 accessories. FYI, .My unit has a two speed main pump, circulation pump, blower and heater and all are wired per the wiring schmatic. I have repalced the K1 relay twice and both times it failed it caused an over heating issue.

Quick up date, still could use help. I did realize i reported the sequence incorrectly. So when I call for heat by raising the temp set point i get the flashing flo for 5-6 seconds as the circulation pump comes up to speed. I beleive it has a soft start feature. Within another 5-6 seconds the heater comes on, the heater symbol appears on the display and I can also hear a the faint sound of the relay activating the heater. The system runs for another 5-6 seconds before I can hear the K1 relay snap open. The system is now just repeating this sequence until the temp set point is reached and that is from the short pulses of heat at each sequence. Something is going to fail before I figure this out.

I have a 2003 Sundance Capri spa, 850 series. it has a single two stage main pump, blower, heater and circulation pump.
My issue is the circulation pump is cycling on and off and occasionally operating correctly. I suspect a tired relay. I do have relays on hand and will replace it providing I get confirmation on its location on the circuit board. Does the K7 relay control the circulation pump?
l misakenly posted my problem, in detail, under the water quality so I wont get into any further detail at this time.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
pump cycle set to 00:00.
Why?

observed the switch attempting to close but the circ pump shuts off prior to building enough flo to shut the switch.
The pump does not builf flow, it's on or off. The switch should close immediately. When did you last clean and replace your filter?
have not tested the current flo switch
So test it.

it has a soft start feature
It does not. Check voltage to the pump. Sounding like a faulty circ pump.

RD, check my heater and its reading 3 ohm across both leads. No indication of it being grounded when testing each leg to ground. I wanted to recheck the amp draw again but my battery was dead.

Once again circulation pump runs on circulation pump cycle. What I though was a soft start was the CP impeller ramping up, its a magnetic drive impeller not shaft drive. I also have found that when I restrict the flow out of the pump to the point that the flow switch is not activated the circulation pump continues to run. My understanding the flo switch is normally open. Flo closes switch and activates heater. The switch is doing it job.

I am suspecting an issue with the board, but what do I know! Hope I giving you adequate info, and Thanks!!

sundance capri 850 series,, sentry control panel, early 2000 i beleive 2003, 2 stage main pump, blower, cir pump
Quote Reply

T

T95

Member​

Aug 1, 20226Cupertino, CA
Yesterday at 6:29 PM
8/24/22

I am still in search of a solution. So it has the same problem. Circulation comes on, flo switch activates heater, then heater and circulation pump shut down within seconds. I also disconnected the heater from the system and it still repeated this same sequence. Not sure if that eliminates the heater from be the suspect problem?

I also noted that if I restrict the flo of the circulation, to the point the flo switch stays open, then the circulation pump will continue to run and not cycle. It seem the Flow switch activation shut the pump relay down and what ever else they energize?

Attempted to test voltage, amperage draw and resistance on sensors.
Sensors:
Flo sensor- OL
Temp sensor in well-19.6 K Ohms
Heater well sensor, dry-20.17 ohms

Voltage:
LINE IN-247V-237V
Each leg Red-122v, black 122v

Voltage at Heater Relays:
K1-Black leg=123v in 104-123 out to K2 relay
K2-Black leg= 104v-123 in, 104-122v out to heater {One leg}
K3-Red leg=122v in 122v out {one leg] This goes to J2- J2 through the board out @ J1 to heater

Test @ 4 terminal Block for above relays:
Terminal 2 & 4 Line in= To relay 1245v in
Terminal 1 =K1 relay {black leg} in 0-241v Heater supply
Terminal 3 = K3 relay {red Leg} Heater supply

Heater tested @ 2.7 ohms with and without the heater overheat protection sensor. Both the heater and sensor have continuity. I believe this unit has the 5.5KW, 240V heater. I read acceptable ohms for a spa heater are between 9-12ohms so I disconnected the heater only to find the same issue with the spa cycling. Obviously the power to the heater is also controlled within the board. I considered jumping the heater leads back to the board but overlook this test.

Amp Test @ heater relays: {It was difficult to get a consistent amp reading with the limited time the heater was on}
From K2 out=34-24 amps
K3 out= 7-9.5amps.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.