Sun shelf / ledge lighting -> design help

GP2

Apr 4, 2019
Houston, TX
Hi TFP. . . new to the forum here (and to pool ownership). Our pool build is underway and we are rethinking a few last minute details. We had planned for (1) small LED on each of our two shallow ledges - Now trying to decide whether that will be adequate and that the locations are OK. The sketch below shows the ledge along the back wall of the pool and the sunshelf/entry (lights in yellow). Appreciate any thoughts on the most practical way to light these. . .
We opted against lights in the shelf bubblers from a cost perspective

Last edited:
Thanks! Here is the complete pool layout with the light locations marked. We are in gunite stage so we do have some constraints. . . . the main lights are currently installed (500W each), along with stub outs for mini LEDs in a few locations that I thought seemed reasonable. They're all multi-color LED. Hopefully this setup is a good starting point and it's just a matter of deciding which mini globrites to actually install, or determine that some may not be needed. The globrites were to keep the ledges from being too dark, but I also had one more stub-out added to the left of the sun deck because i was unsure if that corner would be blocked or shadowed too much by the sun shelf.

With the main lights set now, I'm starting to re-think how many of these mini's will actually improve the over all look of the lighted pool and which are really needed. Appreciate your thoughts and experience on this. . . its difficult to find lighted pool photos to compare to. . .
(1) the one on the main sun shelf seems to be good - keeping this one
(2) The back center ledge (12" water depth) ?might? get enough light from the main across?. . . but the 2 mini's shining across from the planters may still look good in the water?
(3) not sure about the one to the left of the sun deck - this was my late-add just so I had the option!

Thanks Again!

Lighting.jpg

No light inside the spa?

What is the shaded area to the left of the pool?

Small lights:
-#1-move it over to the left by where the..............oh poop you can't move them can you?

Well in that case I think you can do without #3 as I really thing the two bigger lights with the small one on the shelf should be enough.

Kim:kim:

Oh, yes i forgot to show the spa light. . . there is one located in the left wall opposite the spillover.

The shaded area behind the spa is all decking, but it's raised 12" from the rest of the deck (steps in yellow). the spa is +12" from that shaded area (+24" from the rest).

That is going to be so pretty and useful! Do you have any pics of the current pool and decking area?

Have you thought about putting some kind of lighting on that decking by the spa? A pretty pole light can really enhance that area.

Kim:kim:

The raised decking will be at the same elevation as the wall on each side of the spa. Agree a post light, or possibly 2 (one on each corner where the deck bumps out about 20") would probably look really nice and frame that end of the pool. I had pushed off thinking about some of those extras, but may be good to run wires to add the lights later if we can't do now.

Also you can see one of the mini-light stub-outs in the planter (location 2). Think these are worthwhile having or delete them too? Hard to tell if they will improve the overall look given the large light on the opposite wall, and the only other concern i had with these would be if they fan out too far and have a "hot-spot" along the base of the back wall. The shelf depth there is 12" water.

IMG_2225.JPG

IMHO, you may want the ability to select which lights you have on (personally I would find this to be too much light) When we swim in the evening, our one light is enough to see and not blinding as we swim along.
Definitely have wiring for future lighting, outlets run now when you can. We are so glad we did - the one outside the pool cage runs the uplighting on the palms, inside was great for our Christmas tree!
By the way, this is a STUNNING design! I love all the nooks and crannies :) I look forward to seeing your finished product photos! 97802

I know it’s been awhile, but just to close the loop on this thread. . . We went with 2 main pool lights, 1 microbrite on the entry sun deck and 2 microbrites on the back center shelf. We put the micros on a separate circuit so we can swim with just the pool lights, or even just the micros since they cast a fair amount of light into the pool. We also ran electrical to the back of the decking on both sides for future lighting. Thanks for the suggestions!

Here’s some pictures of how it turned out, and a couple in the daytime.

7A48D946-2B27-4B37-9484-53ABB58F02BA.jpegA2B80F42-A397-4D83-8F4A-F12300779C40.jpeg4D88A040-3D09-4E9A-BA26-5BC3D2685D1F.jpegE33CA46A-564C-4F01-A37F-8F0FD1073F1E.jpeg4E02C2C9-4B01-4627-8737-870C5C6C181E.jpeg

Attachments

• 8234F9D0-9342-47B0-A0BC-6AB957703F2B.jpeg
    8234F9D0-9342-47B0-A0BC-6AB957703F2B.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 499B7940-A4F4-47F9-AEB7-3C6CCF90E5FE.jpeg
    499B7940-A4F4-47F9-AEB7-3C6CCF90E5FE.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 28
  • BE71DA59-735B-4A8B-A55B-353313117404.jpeg
    BE71DA59-735B-4A8B-A55B-353313117404.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 7B6EDFB8-0359-4552-8D88-2EC1BFF0CC41.jpeg
    7B6EDFB8-0359-4552-8D88-2EC1BFF0CC41.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Snikwah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks mguzzy! The 3rd micro stubout was a last minute contingency I addd before gunite so we could think about whether we wanted a light here or not. We decided we wouldn't actually add the light there before we ran conduit, so we just pulled it.

So pretty!!! Please go over to this thread and share some pics.......looking down at the steps and down at the deep end to show how the plaster changes colors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.