May 7, 2020
Fairfield, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HI,

I have an 18' x 48" Summer Waves Elite Metal Frame Pool that I purchased last year. I am looking to spend a little money on equipment upgrades before setting it up this year. What advice might anyone have about what would be the best upgrade for the money? I am thinking about a sand filter system and/or SWG, but am open to other suggestions!

Thanks,
Jared

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Popular AGP upgrades include:

Bigger/better filter (and perhaps pump)
SWG
Wide mouth skimmer
Additional return(s)
Hard plumbing versus hoses
Adding a sprayer/fountain.

You can see many of those upgrades discussed in the AGP sub-forum and on YouTube. Good luck on the set-up!

I think your pool may already have a skimmer- correct me if I’m wrong- so that’s a plus. If it came with the terrible fish tank pump you can remove that- mine also came with a large circular plate to put in the bottom of the skimmer where I removed the pump. I was able to use all intex equipment (swg/pump/sand filter) fairly easily w/ a few adaptations. But u could just as easily use another brand above ground pump & filter & even a “real” swg if you’re budget allows.
If u go for a swg you want one rated for approximately 2x’s your pool volume so the big 15k gal intex one or something bigger is fine too.
The biggest intex sand filter/ pump should also suffice unless u plan on getting a bigger pool in the future & want to be ready. It’s like a sickness - we all just keep going bigger & bigger 🤣🤣🤣
You’re one of us now .....

Thanks for the info! Yes, the pool has a skimmer. I saw the circular plate that I can buy to put where the pump will be removed. Now to decide how big of a sand filter to get and if my budget will allow for a swg this year or not!

Last edited:
The pecking order should be pump and or filter and then SWCG. Filterwise the choice is sand or DE which both have the ability to backwash and lastly the cartridge filter which is leading the herd but that has no backwash option and must get opened to hose off the cartridges and the reuse. Cartridges last many years if cared for properly but the larger you get the better off limiting you to 1 or 2 times per season tearing open to clean.

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered the SandPro 50D Above Ground Pool Pump and Sand Filter Kit. I think I will hold off for the SWCG until next year. Hopefully the supply of those will be better after this summer.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.