Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hello everyone!

We upgraded from an above ground pool to an inground fiberglass pool this summer--best decision ever! I'm still getting the hang of my new equipment, but so far, it's been super low maintenance!

I have 2 questions:

1. My TA is consistently around 120. I remember I had the same issue in my above ground pool. Is this something I should be concerned about considering that TA is typically very high in this area?

2. My CYA is reading roughly 100 for a few weeks ago. Is this a concern? Should I be draining and adding fresh water? I've added very little bleach to the pool...less than a gallon total when I was getting the hang of my equipment and let it get too low. So, advice on keeping it controlled would be helpful as well.

Thank you all so much!

Well, I have the TFP kit (just received my replacements, so they are fresh), and I do use the Pool Math app. I selected on the app to link my TroubleFreePool.com user profile. But I'm guessing it's not working (probably user error?) Also, how do I get all of my pool stats to show up on under my avatar? Thank you!

I selected on the app to link my TroubleFreePool.com user profile. But I'm guessing it's not working (probably user error?) Also, how do I get all of my pool stats to show up on under my avatar?
If I click on your avatar, I see the button for "Pool Math Logs"
1630080628051.png
The last test I can see is from 10 months ago, but it is for a "Hot Tub" which you must be sharing with TFP.
1630080710580.png
Do you have multiple pools in the app? I actually have three in my Pool Math app. My pool, then I keep one for one of my neighbors, and then one for a different one as I'm always helping them with the TFP method and they have different sizes and equipment. But when you click my avatar and see my Pool Math logs, only mine shows up, not the other two, which is what I was going for. I go to my pool, then click the gear icon and scroll to the bottom for sharing. I have my pool set to share and not the other two. Seems like you have the hot tub set to share, but not the pool.

1630081055560.png

Well, I have the TFP kit
Also, just another thought, you should add your test kit to your signature. It helps others who are looking at your posts to determine how you are testing and know you have reliable results to comment on.

With that information, and knowing you are in Austin, people would probably tell people your CYA is pretty high, even for a hot area of the country. Some people go as high as 70 in your area, but at a level of 100, you are outside the recommended level. But even at 100 CYA, in order for your chlorine to be effective, your minimum FC should be 8 and the recommended levels for a chlorine pool should be 11-13.

Also, just another thought, you should add your test kit to your signature. It helps others who are looking at your posts to determine how you are testing and know you have reliable results to comment on.

With that information, and knowing you are in Austin, people would probably tell people your CYA is pretty high, even for a hot area of the country. Some people go as high as 70 in your area, but at a level of 100, you are outside the recommended level. But even at 100 CYA, in order for your chlorine to be effective, your minimum FC should be 8 and the recommended levels for a chlorine pool should be 11-13.

Thank you! I have deleted the other two and left my new pool, so hopefully you are able to view it now.

And the label inside my SWG box (attached) has the recommended levels, and it says my chlorine should be between 1-3. (It also says my CYA should be between 30-50, which is really why I'm alarmed!) Obviously, the Hayward recommended levels differ from the Pool Math recommended levels. I am not sure which one to follow. I'm assuming Hayward if I want to be able to use my warranty in the future (let's hope I don't need to! lol)

Attachments

• IMG-8509.jpg
    IMG-8509.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 4
I see the logs now, nice!

Here is the thing about TFP vs. everything else. TFP is one method, pretty easy to follow, and may not be a "traditional" as old pool methodology. You need to pick one method and go with it. Some people use the pool store (craziees as I call them, but people do it), some follow FB forums (even crazier if you ask me!), then there are other methods, but they really can not be interchanged. Pick a method, hopefully the TFP one, and go with it, you will be so happy you did. Pool Math follows TFP, so that is a great resource too.

I see the logs now, nice!

Here is the thing about TFP vs. everything else. TFP is one method, pretty easy to follow, and may not be a "traditional" as old pool methodology. You need to pick one method and go with it. Some people use the pool store (craziees as I call them, but people do it), some follow FB forums (even crazier if you ask me!), then there are other methods, but they really can not be interchanged. Pick a method, hopefully the TFP one, and go with it, you will be so happy you did. Pool Math follows TFP, so that is a great resource too.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! How do I get my info under my avatar like yours? :)

Go the the hamburger menu at the top left.
1630326935585.png

Go to the bottom and click the gear icon for settings.
1630326962156.png

Then go to account details and that is where you can enter the details about your setup.
1630326986142.png

With that info, and a good signature, people around here will know a lot about your setup and help a lot quicker.

Attachments

• 1630326890725.png
    1630326890725.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: FinsToTheLeft

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is my experience that your high TA is going to be an issue with the performance of your SWG and will require your attention. Use your CSI calculation in Pool Math to see how your pool water chemistry affects the potential of calcium scale in your cell. Do you test your salt ppm? You should have a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit to verify your salt ppm. You do have a fiberglass pool surface so that will work to your advantage when managing your CSI and TA.

It is my experience that your high TA is going to be an issue with the performance of your SWG and will require your attention. Use your CSI calculation in Pool Math to see how your pool water chemistry affects the potential of calcium scale in your cell
This is a very good point, especially in the beginning stages of the new test methods and switching over to the TFP methods.

Early in the season I was getting white flakes in my FG pool. After a lot of reading here, I dove into the CSI calculations and how to manage it. In the beginning, chlorine/CYA and PH seem to be the first things to look at but the TA and a salt cell are important to avoid issues with the cell and flakes. My fill water has stupid high TA so it was a process to learn how to lower this, and then target a negative CSI and once I did, and after I washed out the cell and filters, no more flakes and a fully optimized salt cell.

It is my experience that your high TA is going to be an issue with the performance of your SWG and will require your attention. Use your CSI calculation in Pool Math to see how your pool water chemistry affects the potential of calcium scale in your cell. Do you test your salt ppm? You should have a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit to verify your salt ppm. You do have a fiberglass pool surface so that will work to your advantage when managing your CSI and TA.
No I haven’t tested salt or CSI. 😬 I guess I should do that. I have been able to lower my CYA to 65-70 with emptying/adding water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.