Suggestions to partially close pool light niche

HiddenRiver

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2017
East Coventry, PA
We are in the middle of having our gunnite pool resurfaced with quartzite. The contractor has patched all the cracks and removed and replaced most of the surface plaster and sprayed on grout (I guess) and then sprayed on a grey rough layer to which the new surface will adhere. We were delayed because we wanted to take the opportunity to replace our non-working 25 year old incandescent light and replace it with a new 12 volt colored light LPCUS11030. The niche from the old light is deep and the electric wire immovable so we had to drill another access hole and the electrician placed the wire in a conduit. The new light is much shallower and will require a plastic niche to which we will attach the new light. The electrician thinks he should seal the access conduit and the back of the deep niche with hydraulic concrete. 1) is it a good idea to put the wire in a conduit and how to seal and 2) how to close up the original deep niche? 3) what material/path would work best? Desperately need some advice here...thank you so much!!

1 - you asking about the conduit for the old or new light?

2 & 3 fill the old light hole with hydraulic cement. Preferably from both sides. Have the contractor who filled the cracks and put the bonding coat on do it.

I thought they would cut out the old light niche and just have a concrete hole to patch. If they are burying the niche then what material the niche is needs to be considered.

Reactions: HiddenRiver
Good point Alan. I read it like they were gonna tap the existing niche with a new conduit and seal the old conduit off. If this is going to be filled amd plastered over hydraulic is fine to use
They drilled a new conduit and sealed it and the gunnite folks planted in and around the niche to waterproof it. They finished the pool today. Now we will need to brush (and brush). Here are some photosB842B5A9-0C28-4144-A626-5F72D7C939E2.jpeg3C821F11-7349-412D-B996-D571D1191AC6.jpeg1A712B9D-6C1E-4D5B-B3FC-AE1FE25FCED2.jpeg Thanks for your feedback.It kept me sane although I hope I never have to go through this process again!

Love the water color that plaster makes! So refreshing looking!
We continue to brush and follow PC recommendations for chemistry. Work done on October 28 using Martinique quartzite finish. Pool lite replaced with a pro-logic colored light. Right now chemistry is strange. Chlorine 0. PH 8.2 (probably higher) CH 70. Alk. 240, CYU 0. Should I change forums to get thoughts on this? We are brushing and brushing and vacuuming and filtering. They say no chlorine iuntil 5 days but what about CYA? Husband on way to pool store to get something to raise calcium hardness

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We continue to brush and follow PC recommendations for chemistry. Work done on October 28 using Martinique quartzite finish. Pool lite replaced with a pro-logic colored light. Right now chemistry is strange. Chlorine 0. PH 8.2 (probably higher) CH 70. Alk. 240, CYU 0. Should I change forums to get thoughts on this? We are brushing and brushing and vacuuming and filtering. They say no chlorine iuntil 5 days but what about CYA? Husband on way to pool store to get something to raise calcium hardness

Pool water chemistry is different during first 28 day startup. What were the PB recommendations?

Read Plaster Start-Up Guides - Further Reading

Most startup guides say no CYA for first 4 days. Keep FC between 1-3ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.