NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Here is the equipment of a new pool build. This is my first pool so I have no clue what I’m doing besides what I have read on this forum. Any help or suggestions most importantly with the right pool pump to buy.

DEFINITE KNOWNS:
-leisure pools, elegance 30’ in graphite grey
- 14x30” fiberglass pool rectangular (NO SPA)
- 16,000 gallons of water
- salt water system (Hayward aquabrite 925)
- gas heater (Hayward H-series 250 BTU)

- 330 cartridge filter
- 2” rigid plumbing pipe
- Hayward brand equipment is what the builder uses

QUESTIONS:
1. Based on the above info what size type pump should I get? Currently he has a 2HP pump but I have read it should not be oversized because it can overwhelm the system and cost more than it needs to to run. However the plumbing is 2” and the filter is oversized for the pool so that shouldn’t matter correct. At one point I thought about a variable speed pump but read it’s not good for a salt system pool or one with a heater since it needs to run at full speed anyway for those two things to work, plus my pool guy doesn’t like that they are more complicated. So then I’m thinking I should be fine with the regular pump, but should I go with the 2 HP? The pool guy likes it bigger to handle if there is ever an algae problem or something like that in the pool so it can be rectified quicker since it’s pumping more in a shorter period. Or should I do a 1.5 HP because it will cost less to run but run longer not leaving the water stagnant for too long. Will 1.5 HP cause any problems with the swg or the heater not being able to perform properly.

2. what Salt water generator should I ask for to make sure it’s able to produce enough chlorine? I read you should double the volume of ur pool so instead of 16,000 I should go with more than 32,000. Any suggestion for a specific model? He currently has in contract for Hayward Aquabrite 925.

3. does the gas heater Hayward h-series 250 BTU look ok?

I’m not looking for the best most expensive system. I’m looking for an easy to maintain pool that still keeps things simple.

thanks,
Liz

Liz,

You would be a fool not to install a Large VS pump... This allows you to adjust the pump's speed to exactly what you want, when you want it. Sorry, but your pool builder has no idea what he is talking about..

With a saltwater system you will have to run the pump long enough to generate the amount of chlorine your pool will need. The longer you run a single speed pump, the more it costs..

I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo pump that runs 24/7, at a low RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month...

You don't have to run a VS pump at anywhere near full speed for the heater to work..

You should install a salt system that is 2 x the volume of your pool... So any cell larger than 32K will work just fine.. In your location, you could get away with 1.5 x the pool volume..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
When you say you can set the speed whatever you want when you want it. Do you mean with an automation system? I’m definitely not getting an automation system. Or can that be done even without one instead of the 2 speeds on a timer? Sorry for my ignorance I’m trying to understand this all but I’m lost. Another reason simple to work things might be better for me I’m worried I won’t know how to work things properly to really get the benefit.

Complicated or not, come July 2021 new federal pool pump regulations will kick in essentially ending sales of single speed filtration pumps.

When you say you can set the speed whatever you want when you want it. Do you mean with an automation system?
VS pumps have a built-in control panel that allows you to set programs at varying speeds. They are hardwired directly to the breaker and do not require a separate timer. A VS pump will cost more up front, but if you plan to stay in the house, will save money in the long run if used properly.

By far the VS pump will be the best for you but a 2 speed may work as well. Not sure of cost differences in your area.

With regard to automation, it would be suggested that at least have a panel run to inside your house. You do not want to have to run to the equipment pad to turn on and off your system or set a timer. There are some very basic systems that give you sufficient control to set programs and monitor pool operations. The more complex uses wireless and connects to your phone or have an external handheld pool digital assistant (PDA). Just a thought for you to consider. Talk with your PB for ideas.

You want a T15 cell. 2hp is overkill 1.5hp is plenty. I would do a VS pump too if not a 2 speed. You only need low speed to satisfy salt cell. You wontbuse heater that much when the gas bills start adding up. More of a point of use item when you need it

Would a Hayward SP23115VSP MaxFlo be a good option? From my understanding it will integrate with a gas heater and a salt water system without a separate automation system (true? If so how does that work anything special need to be done?) also, it explained the control panel can be wall mounted, can this be brought and wired from the pump to inside of the house then? Thanks everyone for your advice and patience.

Any pump will work with a heater. The salt cell has it's own control and will be setup with a timer on the salt system. You can remote mount the pump display but I wouldnt bring it indoors. Its bulky amd not something you mess with often. You set it up amd then it does its own thing by itself

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.