Sudden bloom, couple questions.

skiflyer

Jul 27, 2021
Near Chicago IL
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Had a heck of a time getting the CYA and FC numbers above zero this year. I was trying to go through some tablets from last year, but finally got in the car and go the raw ingredients to do it right.

While my CYA was hovering around 10 and my FC around 0.5ppm we added some new steps, and boom we got a sudden algae bloom.

Now my numbers look good, if a little heavy on the chlorine
FC 9.0
pH 7.4
TA 110
CH 150
CYA 55

I'm yanking the tablets out and using only liquid at this point, obviously not adding any more stabilizer. Will drain occasionally and let rain help bring that number down a bit. I've been in this state for all of 12 hours, water is clearing but still a little cloudy and green.

That's the story, now my questions
1) Do the steps screw up the water current and make this more likely, or was this just pure coincidence? I grew up with an inground pool, but this is my first experience with an above ground with a single filter/jet so I'm not sure if I should consider this.

2) I know everyone here recommends SLAM, and I will probably do that. But I'm wondering if someone can tell me why I should avoid the "algae destroyer" chemicals at the pool shop? It seems to be working ok so far.

3) Our pool package came with the kontiki 2. Does this thing actually clean, or just mix things up? (KonTiki Automatic Pool Cleaner - Pool Cleaners - Pool City) Is it worth investing in some other sort of vacuum, and if so, is there a recommendation?

4) Is my plan on the CYA reasonable at this level, or should I be draining more significantly?

Thanks for sticking with me on the long post, appreciate any feedback, will be scouring the older messages more once my kids go to bed - sorry if I'm asking oft repeated questions.

We say to SLAM because we know it works. The only "Algae Destroyer" product I found was nothing but overpriced chlorine Trichlor, the same thing in tabs.

It's you pool and you can do what you want, but magic potions from the pool store seldom have lasting effects. But, you have to choose whose advice you will follow. It's impossible to follow both as the methods are diametrically opposed.

To quote Dave here at TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

TFPC tenet - Never put chemistry in your pool when you do not know the outcome

Your testing is a little off as with a TF-100 there is no way to read 10 CYA and there is no 55 CYA. The scale is not linear, so half way between 50 and 60 is not 55.

My suggestion is to stop paying for overpriced magic potions, call your CYA 60 and SLAM your pool.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

I called it 55 because I'm still trying to figure out the CYA "do I see it or not" dot... but you're probably right on the 60. I'm only hesitant to SLAM because we're expecting a mini heatwave and want the kids to be able to swim this week. But c'est la vie, rather do it right and have a good summer than get a goofy eye infection from the algae this week.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Your test results look like they came from a pool store. We never trust pool store testing nor make recommendations based upon it. If you want to use the TFP method your first step needs to be to order one of the recommended kits, either the TF-100 or K-2006, and perform your own testing. Trust me, the money you save by not buying overpriced snake oil at the pool store will more than pay for it the first year.

Reactions: newdude
Your test results look like they came from a pool store. We never trust pool store testing nor make recommendations based upon it. If you want to use the TFP method your first step needs to be to order one of the recommended kits, either the TF-100 or K-2006, and perform your own testing. Trust me, the money you save by not buying overpriced snake oil at the pool store will more than pay for it the first year.
I know, it took me 2 trips to the pool store last summer to figure this out. I got the TF-100 after that and started switching to the methods I see on these forums. Those numbers are from my TF-100 from last year, I didn't replace reagents yet this season. The CYA is an estimate just because I'm still trying to figure out that dot... but I know it's between 50 and 60.

The only thing I modified was that I used tri-chlor tablets with stabilizer to start the season this year, because we were at 0 CYA after the winter and bought way too many last year. Figured it's still putting in chlorine and stabilizer, but turned out it did it way too slowly. My goal all along has been to switch to liquid only once the CYA got to levels, which it just did, though apparently I overshot a little.

Reactions: kimkats
Call the CYA 60 and dose FC accordingly.
Use the FC/CYA Levels
Use PoolMath
Trust your TF-100
SLAM Process your pool

The above is the quickest, safest and cheapest way to get the pool safe for your family to swim in.
Right now it's cloudy and green. Pool store potions and recommemded levels won't make the pool safe and swimmable any faster (and certainly not cheaper).
SLAM Process and stay the course. No shortcuts and no (more) pool store "magic".

Any one have comments on the steps
What kind of steps do you have ? We've never been to your house. 😁 I'm guessing the wedding cake style, or else it would be a ladder ? Both are dead zones inside and are best to pull out to clean inside and out in the yard. The wedding style steps would likely require help to remove. If it isn't available, you can push them to the middle of.the pool and rotate them all directions to swish them out. Seriously. go full Rubicks cube on them. If you tip them forward, the big hole in the back is now on the top and you can reach in to scrub the insides.
the vacuum I'm using
Does it work ? If it sucks stuff out, it's good. All pool vacs require a boatload of patience. They are like trying to catch a mouse with an indoor vacuum. It's gonna take you some tries.

Yeah, wedding cake, sorry. Definite dead zone, but it seems like it makes a huge dead zone for about 20% of the pool based on how the algae settled. Im just trying to figure out if that's real, or if it was just a coincidence.

I can't tell if the vacuum works, I think it does, but sometimes it seems more likes it's just mixing it up. Was hoping someone else already tried a comparison to the standalone $500 ones and could tell me their results.

Im just trying to figure out if that's real, or if it was just a coincidence.
Above grounds swirl like a toilet bowl and that's a chunk of the wall blocked. So it's real alright. Many have drilled 1.5 inch holes in the sides to allow some water to pass through them.

They need to be scrubbed GOOD, inside and out, whether they look ok or not. It could be almost hiding under biofilm and start right back up after the SLAM is done
but sometimes it seems more likes it's just mixing it up.
That's a pool vac for ya !!!!
Was hoping someone else already tried a comparison to the standalone $500 ones and could tell me their results.
@kimkats had the Aquabot Jr (?) and loved it. Hang tight for her thoughts.

Reactions: skiflyer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 examples of making holes for circulation. Search for more. Wedding step holes, etc

HI! We got ya covered!

Many have drilled 1.5 inch holes in the sides to allow some water to pass through them.
I did that and also used a turkey baster to squirt chlorine into the holes every other day to make sure Pool Rover Junior review-aka Lil Kim was getting inside it.

Here is my Lil' Kim!

I loves her and she is still going strong!!!

Kim:kim:

HI! We got ya covered!
Thanks for the positive vibes :)

I loves her and she is still going strong!!!

Kim:kim:
Interesting, but looks discontinued... I'll take away that a pool robot is worth the investment though. Also heartened to hear that you found a way to make your wedding cake steps work. I think we may remove ours to get back to a good place before re-introducing.

While my CYA was hovering around 10 and my FC around 0.5ppm we added some new steps, and boom we got a sudden algae bloom.
I think you're focusing way too much on the steps part of this sentence and not enough on the no chlorine in the pool part.

I'm glad to see that you are now in good hands and on the right track, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.