suction vac for in ground concrete pool less than $400

Apr 14, 2013
henderson, nevada
My Hayward ultra vac that was here when I bought my house a few months ago is dead or close to it. Need to replace. Looking for something under $400 and reliable and won't cost me a fortune to fix over its life. My pool guy recommended "the pool cleaner" and new hoses. He said he can get it for me for $330-350. Is this a good suction vacv? What about the price? Are there others for around the same price ishould be looking at? My pool details are in my SIG.

The two suction cleaners that people here recommend are the mx8 and thepoolcleaner. Look at the thread below about the mx8 for a comparison. I've personally decided to go with thepoolceaner due to mixed reviews of the mx8 on amazon and consistently good reviews here and elsewhere for thepoolcleaner.

The price your pool guy quoted you is excellent...so excellent I'd want to make sure you're buying a new unit. The unit can be found online for $350, I'd expect most pool guys to build a bigger markup into the price...though that may be a factor of where I live.

Our pool company place a 2-3x markup on all equipment. Case in point, they wanted $500 for a Hayward booster pump which sells for $180 on amazon. Add $110 an hour for installation and you quickly learn to have a pool setup that avoids getting them involved.

"The Pool Cleaner" is the best cleaner on the market right now. The only part you will have to change in four years are the rubber tires - coming from a Hayward Ultra Vac you are not going to know what to do with yourself. I guess you can spend your repair time watching the cleaner operate in the pool as it is pretty cool to see. It will go about 12-14 ft and then pivot and move in another direction. It doesn't get hung up anywhere in the pool and can climb the walls fine with the right suction power. I have about 12 of these on my route and the customer love them. In fact one customer signed a contract with a builder and was supposed to get the dark colored Ultra Vac included - but when the builder saw this cleaner in action on one of his other pools that he built and that I service, he switched it to the Limited Edition Pool Cleaner. They are great and the company also has great customer service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.