Jul 31, 2021
So Cal
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Background:
I have a Hayward Aquanaut 400 and a Pentair VSP pump running at 2650RPM on a normal day. I usually have my valve set to about 60% skimmer and 40% vacuum and have had no issues with the vacuum for 18 months since I got the Aquanaut -- the unit would move around and rarely if ever get stuck.
My pool filter is a Pentair Quad DE 100 last cleaned end of August. Relatively ittle debris gets in our pool and pressure was 16PSI after cleaning. It's at about 16.5PSI now. Usually when it's dirty it's closer to 20PSI.

Issue
Starting about two weeks ago the vac was getting stuck and moving a bit slower.

Troubleshooting
- When vac/skim valve on FULL SKIMMER pressure is 16.5PSI and the filter basket window only a couple bubbles (normal)
- When vac/skim valve on FULL VAC w/ NO VAC connected (port open) pressure is 16.5PSI and filter basket window only a couple bubbles (same as skimmer)
- When vac/skim valve on FULL VAC WITH VAC connected pressure is about 13.75PSI and filter basket window does not seem to fill entirely with water - it's a constant flow, but never quite fills all the way. I *think* the pressure dropping may be normal -- I noticed adding each segment of tubing (I did one at a time) that pressure dropped about 0.2PSI per tube. I have 8 tubes so that would explain about 2PSI drop (?).
- No obstructions in any vac hoses (I checked)
- Took apart Aquanaut and no obstructions or obvious issues. Tires were replaced a few months ago and look good too.
- Held hoses under water to ensure no pinhole leaks suck in air in connections.

I also ran the pump at 3300RPM and same results as above. I did this to try to clear any potential debris. I don't think that's the issue.

The drive shaft on the Aquanaut has a little wear on both sides but seems to be gripping ok. My locally owned pool store ran a quick test and guy thinks gears should be ok but... who knows?

So... I'm stumped. I'm about to call it quits on the suction style vac and just get a robot (Which would probably get the finer debris like roof granules... I would hope?).

Figured I would ask the forums if any ideas before I start replacing parts on my Aquanaut! It's only 18 months old - what a bummer but I guess that's pool ownership!

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.