Suction side leak only when filter is active?

diesel13

Apr 12, 2019
unknown
My situation is this. Upon opening this year I noticed some leakage in what I think is the suction side. When I would switch my 3-way to the skimmers it would fill with about 10% air. It has worsened and now the pump runs but can only fill half the basket area. The strange thing is that when I bypass my DE filter the pump can hold its prime. There are still bubbles but its definitely better. I think its suction side because there are no leaks at all anywhere around the equipment or exposed pipes. The air in the intake tank also suggests it. I've done the surface leak tests with the hose but no luck. Any suggestions are welcome.

Pentair 1.5 hp pump
30K gallon gunnite
DE filter, 2 skimmers, 2 returns

When was the last time you backwashed your filter? Or took it apart and cleaned the grids?

My DE filter pressure is about 20 when clean with DE in it and the flow starts slowing at around 30 psi.

Your 28 psi sounds like a dirty filter slowing the flow.

Yeah, clean your filter. You should get clean pressure around 10-15 depending on the size of your filter.
I noticed some leakage in what I think is the suction side.
Water leak or air leak? If you noticed (saw) it, it must be water and that wouldn't be a suction leak. Got any pics? Help us understand the issue a little better, clean your filter and we'll work on that leak.

Yeah, clean your filter. You should get clean pressure around 10-15 depending on the size of your filter. Water leak or air leak? If you noticed (saw) it, it must be water and that wouldn't be a suction leak. Got any pics? Help us understand the issue a little better, clean your filter and we'll work on that leak.

Thanks to all. I'll get the filter cleaned and recharged tonight after work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.