Suction side air leak nightmare !!!

I raised the water level way up and , i just got home to find about 1 1/2 inch of water gone since last night !!!!!
This is a 30k gall. Pool thats a lot of water to lose in less than 24 hours with no swimmers . And cold weather.
I think i need a leak detection expert ? Any body done this before ? Can they use a camera to find it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you've got the pool side suction leak plus the rapid water loss, I'd temporarily plug the suction line at the skimmer to see if the water loss stops. If that stops the loss, I'd say that your pool suction line has a failure, or the plumbing connection under the skimmer has failed. Try pressure testing the pool suction line.

I have called in a pro to find the leak !!! I kinda suspect a skimmer connection leak, the water only drains down to the bottom of the skimmer. And does it with the pump off. Thinking if it was the drain it would drain water lower ??? How do they take the skimmer box out to fix connection ?

On a gunite pool, the skimmer is completely surrounded by concrete. The repair usually involves complete skimmer replacement. In the Arizona market, this can be a $800 to $1000 hit to the bank account.

Worked on pool today, Ran the jet hose thing through the suction lines .. Nothing came out but water..
Replaced the pump strainer o-ring one more time. No difference.
I did notice something interesting when i move the suction side jandy valve just a little off the full skim , the air almost stops and the pressure is stable on the filter gadge. With just a few bubbles in the basket...

Questions i have are : Does the pump suck more when in pool mode vs spa mode ?
Could a pump seal let air in without any water leak ?
In the Past couple years my pump had gotten very Hot from failure to prime caused by leaves, hot enough that it melted the pump basked like a shrinkey dink, this happened 2-3 times .. I have replaced the pump seal 2-3 times and the last time i did the Diffuser did not snap on very good , i just crammed it together and put the bolts in...
Question : Can the pump be the real issue !!! It just seems weird that it work fine in spa mode ????
If the pump sucks harder in pool mode and the pump is shot maybe it only pulls in air when in pool mode ???
i started the Bucket leak test to determine if the leak is real or percieved.
Has any had a issue like this with a RS pump?

Pic of jandy valve

uhyvumad.jpg

The pump doesn't "suck" harder per se, however the pool may have a much greater suction head than the spa does and therefore be more susceptible to air leaks than the spa is. So yes, it could be the pump leaking, but the shaft seal and casing gasket is on the pressure side.

Yea, i have raised the water level way up , and had 2 people watching the skimmers to see if the level got too low .. No luck
I was talking to a guy at the pool store today, he said that sometimes you can have a leaking pump seal that can suck air in but not leak water .
Is this possible ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pool expert came today, said one of the skimmers has suction leak , he is coming back next week to pressure test and ultrasound to pinpoint leak.
Then we tear it up and fix it.. Looks like 300 to find leak and around 1900 to replace a skimmer , estimate ... Does that sound about right ???
And where do you find a skimmer for a 33 year old Anthony pool ??

Did pressure test today , the leak is under one of the skimmers , it's jack hammer -time .... Gonna be around 1900 bucks. Plus the 300 for the leak detection.. The tech used a scuba tank and plugs and A pressure gauge . Water came out from under the cool deck by the skimmer.
from what he said it is common around here due to the clay soil, we do have foundation problems in north texas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.