Stupid Pokemon cards

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I remember in high school all the geeky kids would play Pokemon cards in the cafeteria. I remember thinking how stupid I thought it was and how the fad would be gone soon with their hundreds of invested dollars wasted away. Now I am 35 with a 7-year-old who is obsessed with the cards and those grown up kids from high school are now pointing and laughing at me.

Not only is the card game more difficult to figure out than calculus in college but the cards are sold out everywhere. My son's birthday was this past weekend and he wanted to immediately spend his b-day money on.... wait for it... Pokemon cards! Stupid me said "sure we will go to Target later" completely unaware they are sold out as if it was toilet paper in March 2020. We went to Target, shelves completely empty, and I had to deal with a very disappointed boy on his birthday.

I did go on eBay and buy a lot of 100 used cards from some comic book shop for $17. No clue if they are any good but I can now use them as incentive for good behavior. Dollar bills are no longer worth it to him for completing chores or passing spelling tests so it looks like the Pokemon cards are going to be the new crypto currency for 1st graders.

They never stopped but you stopped paying attention to it as you went on to 3rd Grader stuffs and so on. Check FB marketplace and the OfferUp app. People age out of them all the time and sell their stash to the next generation.

Pokemon cards have overrun this house! We have a friend who's in his late 20's now and gave my son shoeboxes full of cards (multiple boxes) but he always wants more. Some of our Dollar Tree stores sell small packs of cards for $1 - there's like 4 or 5 cards in there so those still work as incentives/rewards here. Godspeed to you on your journey!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.