Stuck top Pentair Clean/Clear

MGA

Aug 16, 2020
St Augustine Fl
I DREAD cleaning the filter on my Pentair Clean and Clear Filter CC100
To get the top off is real pain
I dont like to wedge a screwdriver in between the top and bottom because it causes damage to the plastic/fiberglass
Lately I used PB Breaker in between the too halves to help separate it but I don’t like to use PB Breaker because get all over the place and I guess its NOT good for o-ring
When I finally get it apart after banging the heck out it with a rubber hammer I put back together with silicone grease
I did pop it off by turning on the filter on one time —luckily I didn’t get hit with top as it flew through the air
But it made me wonder can I have a controlled pop off of the top with a towel or netting or rope etc.
The problem is I know better but I am frustrated in getting the the top off!
Another problem there is no place to grab the top to get leverage to pull it up I been thinking of putting holes it to accommodate a pipe or wood just something I can get a grip on but really don’t want to drill holes in the top
Another problem is that it isnt pinned/screwed to the hurricane pad
Maybe if I fastened it to the pad the rubber mallet would work better
I know this question gets asked alot I saw many answers on the site but I thought I ask it again
Any suggestions would be helpful

I have a clean and clear 320 and it was hard to get off a couple of times...

1. turn the air release valve to open, that helped the most for me...
2. open the pump lid to allow water to release from the filter...
3. then hit it with a rubber hammer..

Always use pool lube for lube :)

It's not recommended to start pump to separate the filter.
Please read the article I linked below:
Backyard Bomb
Holy cow! That should be required reading for anyone who has, or plans to get, a cartridge filter!

I'm not familiar with MGA's C&C 100, but I have a C&C 420. When I clean, I always turn the air release on the top and as someone else suggested, take the lid off the pump basket, as that is a good time to check the impeller. I then open the drain on the bottom of the filter tank. (Is opening that drain not necessary? I always see some dirt and debris in the bottom and can easily hose it out.) Anyway, after opening the top pressure release, the pump basket lid and the bottom drain, there is no way for there to be pressure in the tank. Nonetheless, I still see that clamp as a two person job, especially putting it back on. At least three and preferably four hands are required to be sure the clamp is exactly in place while initial install of the nut that holds the clamp together.

Using pump pressure to pop the top off? Sounds like a variation on Russian roulette! Read that article. I've saved the link to pass on to my neighbors.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I did pop it off by turning on the filter on one time —luckily I didn’t get hit with top as it flew through the air
But it made me wonder can I have a controlled pop off of the top with a towel or netting or rope etc.
Never do that!

It is super dangerous and someone could get seriously injured or killed.

I won’t turn on the pump on to get the cover off
I was lucky…I promise!!
After reading article I promise I won’t
Alright now that we’re clear on that!
Does anyone have a suggestion
to get the lid off
Heres what I been doing and it sounds familiar to what you guys are doing
shut the pump off
Release the air valve
Take off the pump cover
I would release the drain plug but it not in good place to get at!
Then tap on the lid to get it loose but as I said before it is really hard to get lid off
Can I make a tool to help pull up on the cover with damaging it
I am at wits end

I have a clean and clear 320 and it was hard to get off a couple of times...

1. turn the air release valve to open, that helped the most for me...
2. open the pump lid to allow water to release from the filter...
3. then hit it with a rubber hammer..

Always use pool lube for lube :)

I think he said that he did use that. Silicone lubricant or "silicone greese ". It gets less sticky than magic lub. It is a pool lube.

Change out that oring that will help a lot. When they are old you'll spend so much time fighting the lid off and on. Drilling holes in the lid will destory the structural integrity of that filter thats a bad ideal.

Assuming your draining the filter and letting out the vacuum first, prying the lid really isn't that bad compared to blowing if off. Maybe you need to change your air relief valve

I have removed the air relief valve and used the hole in the lid to pry it from the top with whatever I found on my truck.

I think he said that he did use that. Silicone lubricant or "silicone greese ". It gets less sticky than magic lub. It is a pool lube.
Most 'silicone grease' has PTFE in it. That is what makes it sticky. The Wiki article I linked to explains that. Boss 820 is the best product I have found.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After turning off and locking out the pump, I always release the air pressure & leave the relief valve open, then open the bottom drain. This prevents any pressure trap on the seal. It should be totally equalized internally and externally. I hit it with my hand on the top dome and it releases easily. I do use pool lube for the oring.

Most 'silicone grease' has PTFE in it. That is what makes it sticky. The Wiki article I linked to explains that. Boss 820 is the best product I have found.
Cool I wish you would had said that, now I feel like the guy that goes around saying actually, then inserts myself into the conversation. Why do you use boss, is it thinner than the red lub? Because you can barely get red lub out of the tub in the winter.

The Boss 820 is in a tube, but they might have larger volume containers. It is not real thin, but spreads easily. I never have cold weather so no issues there.

Thanks
Filter and Air relief is only 1 year old its working fine
I been thinking wood wedges myself funny u should bring that up
I think it I had filter fastened to the hurricane pad that might help so it doesn’t move so much when hit it with the rubber mallet
O-ring doesn’t feel sticky and I use the silicone grease from pinchapenny
Maybe I’ll replace o-ring and try that
Thank again for all your suggestions
I going to try and take it part now
Wish me luck

Reactions: cowboycasey
Well as I said I was going take the pump apart and clean the filter
And I did!
Took off the plastic part that holds the filter together
Filled the crack with some silicone spray
Took off the pump cover and turned on the relief valve kept it open
They I proceeded to carefully w a rubber mallet bang upwards against one of the ears on the filter cover and lo and behold the filter cover begin to come off!!
Sprayed some more silicone spray in the widened crack and two more blows of the rubber mallet and I was home free!
Cleaned the filter hosed down the filter case and top
cleaned the silcone spray off and then gave it a generous supply of lube tube (got it at pinchapenny )
Put the pump and filter back together and I was good to go!
I still I may fasten the filter case down into the hurricane pad
But so much to dreading to clean the filter
WE”LL SEE WHAT GOES THE NEXT TIME!
Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.