Strong chlorine smell on clothes

Capt_EA

Aug 15, 2019
Florida
My friend has a saltwater pool and takes the water to a local pool store weekly to get checked. They said all was fine. My sons go swimming there and a couple weeks ago one said his eyes burned and after today one of the swimming suits had a very strong chlorine smell. Attached is the pool store results. Based on what I've been reading here it's the chloramines that produce the smell. And with their ph being a little high the stores testing of the CC may not be accurate? Not sure, but I definently dont think the clothes should smell that strong. Lastly, I was going to send them a link to purchase one of the T100 test kits to compare results. Thanks for any insight. Pool is outdoors located in Florida with Pebble Tech.

Attachments

• 20190909_002600.jpg
    20190909_002600.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 29
If we believe his pool store tests his CYA is high and FC low for CYA 100. FC/CYA Levels

He probably has algae in the water generating CCs.

His pH is a bit high but not the issue.

Reactions: Capt_EA
pH does not effect the FC testing.
We do not trust pool store tests -- but -- IF that is accurate - I suspect the CYA level is well above 100 ppm and thus the FC levels are not high enough. The test does not show any CC.

Hard to say why the clothing may smell of chlorine. But it is a problem, and a proper test kit with test results we can trust would point in the right direction.

While it's hard to say for sure what's making the clothing smell of "chlorine", what we normally associate as "chlorine" is combined chlorine, or chloramines. They have a distinct odor, that is different than when smelling fresh chlorine. Fresh chlorine isn't unpleasant at all.

I am particularly sensitive to chloramines. It's nothing good. Repels me. Bromamines are also particularly heinous.

But nice fresh chlorine, that's not a problem for me at all.

I think that pool store test isn't accurate. Most every pool has up to .5ppm CC normally. And that's perfectly fine. But pools that stink, are clearly a battleground (chlorine attacking something biological).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.