Stressed out over choosing tile for back pool wall - newbie!

SuzinSD

Feb 6, 2021
San Diego, CA
Hi all,

I've been searching for pictures similar to our pool and can't find much. We are remodeling starting next week in San Diego.

I was going to use NPT Safari multicolor for the spa and waterline, and Scabos travertine stacked stone for the rest of the big wall (what is the official name of those walls?). Also, some kind of travertine for the coping.

But now I am really worried we will have calcium deposits on the stone and it will be really hard to clean. There is a spillover on the spa and two sheer descents on the wall (one on each side).

If I use tile on that whole wall, do you think it will be too boring? I don't really like glass tile all that much, so I was looking for something more 'stone look'.

What would you do? Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• image_123923953 (5).JPG
    image_123923953 (5).JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image_123923953 (6).JPG
    image_123923953 (6).JPG
    481.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Safari multicolor.jpg
    Safari multicolor.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 54
  • NPT Scabos ledger stone.jpg
    NPT Scabos ledger stone.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image_123923953 (4).JPG
    image_123923953 (4).JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 44
Welcome to the forum!
I personally would suggest no 'stacked stone' in wet areas. Splash zones, etc. Can be problematic. Also if you have water on the other side of the wall (such as your spa) the gunite needs to be sealed very well or you will get effloresence through the grout lines, etc.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

What about some deco tiles scattered along the spa wall?FAE57B44-57BF-4A8D-A8C3-96E34A79C989.png
9BC22920-EEA1-4FE8-A2C2-41667078929C.png
I know this one has glass but it would just be an accent.

751BA233-9A36-4DA4-8E64-00B770DCD416.png
You can also use the smaller version of what you are getting. BTW, I didn't pick the first 2 based on color, I just picked them for ideas.

Thank you! That is what I was afraid of.

Welcome to the forum!
I personally would suggest no 'stacked stone' in wet areas. Splash zones, etc. Can be problematic. Also if you have water on the other side of the wall (such as your spa) the gunite needs to be sealed very well or you will get effloresence through the grout lines, etc.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Are you talking about for the spa wall? Those look like pretty long lengths and your spa is curved so it may not work. I did see a pool done by the guy who did our pool layout that used a whethered white wood look tile on the raised wall and then small white subway tile for the waterline. I liked it but my husband said he didn't want our pool looking like our kitchen and bathroom 🤣.

• Haha
Reactions: SuzinSD
Whatever you do have the install company follow the procedures from Oceanside Glass & Tile, this is the way tile is supposed to be installed and on both sides of your spa... This will stop the effervescence from coming though your tile this time.... :)

Confirm what products they are using and check to make sure they are actually using the correct products and steps...

On the tile, pick one that you like and go with it (y)

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: SuzinSD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.