Strange piece of metal in pool return. Guidance appreciated :)

What a PITA 😄 I will be able to dig a hole and access it as it isn’t too far from the edge of the concrete. Now the question… is there a longer lasting alternative that will be plug and play?

No metal that will resist acid will work as an electrical bond. It has to be either brass or stainless steel. Get rid of the acid feeder above the pipe and the brass fitting will last forever. Just replace with the same part.

If I were you, I'd get a long endoscope and push it down the pipe to have a visual look at the bonding lug from inside the pipe.

How old is this pool? If only a few years old, and you only use pucks sporadically, I wouldn't assume the lug has disintegrated without having a visual.

Again, it's a pressure cleaner line that will no longer be needed (at least that is what I gathered from the OP). Who cares if the bonding lug disintegrated or fell out completely. Disconnect line, cap, and abandon it and then bond water elsewhere (skimmer, another pipe, metal ladder, etc.).

Reactions: borjis
Again, it's a pressure cleaner line that will no longer be needed (at least that is what I gathered from the OP). Who cares if the bonding lug disintegrated or fell out completely. Disconnect line, cap, and abandon it and then bond water elsewhere (skimmer, another pipe, metal ladder, etc.).
I appreciate the advice but the current location of the bond is definitely the easiest access even though it is under a little concrete. I also don’t want to lose the utility of the extra return.

Reactions: Plettschner
If I were you, I'd get a long endoscope and push it down the pipe to have a visual look at the bonding lug from inside the pipe.

How old is this pool? If only a few years old, and you only use pucks sporadically, I wouldn't assume the lug has disintegrated without having a visual.
I used this to convince the wife that we needed a SWG 🤭 don’t ask. I will definitely take a look since I will be replumbing anyway. 👍

The pool is 6 years old, and there really isn’t anything else that piece could have been. I was surprised how thin the metal was compared to pictures I have seen of similar lugs.

You will find out the lugs condition when you get down to it and unscrew it.

When you do let us know what you find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.