Straight pipe recommendations for SWG installation?

pjt

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
First time installing a SWG and I understand it's best/required to have ~18" of straight pipe before the SWG. Is a long straight segment also required before the flow switch? Can the straight segment leading to the SWG also house the flow switch? Thanks in advance!

The flow switch for a Pentair IC is integral to the cell. It is in the incoming side of flow. Pentair recommends 12" of straight pipe before the flow switch. Is your pump variable speed? At lower rates you will find you can reduce that with little effect on the flow rate needed to close the flow switch.

Reactions: pjt
pjt,

If you can easily add 12" in front of the cell than do it.. If not, I just would not worry about it..

The cell at my house was installed by the pool builder, and has a 90 degree fitting about 2" before the cell.. It works just fine and I can't see any reason to change it now..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude and pjt
Thanks guys!

Follow up question: Pentair recommends mounting the cell vertically. Does this really make a difference?

Thanks guys!

Follow up question: Pentair recommends mounting the cell vertically. Does this really make a difference?
My IC60 is both horizontal and has a 90 degree directly from the heater to the cell and ignorance was bliss for 7 years pre-TFP. Upon learning better there is still no need to fix what ain’t broke. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pjt,

I have three of them, all mounted horizontally, and they all work just fine. I am not sure what advantage the vertical mounting would have.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I also have no idea what the advantage to vertical mounting would be. It's in the manual so I was curious. Maybe so you can read the display and manipulate the controls without having to turn your head sideways?

1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.