Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My wife is tired of having poles, nets, brushes, other pool tools and floaties sitting on the back patio. I wanted to see if you folks had any storage ideas for these items. She was thinking of getting some hooks or racks so that we can attach those things to the wooden fence that goes around the backyard, but I'm worried about the sun beating down on stuff all day, especially plastic things. Sadly we don't have a big storage building out back.

Moved from here.

If you don't have actual storage space, you'll probably have to use hooks for some of those things and try to position them so they are in the shade most of the day. There are deck storage containers that don't look bad around the pool. You can't put poles in it, but brushes, vacuum heads, stuff like that are no problem. I have one of those I use in our carport for car stuff. Others here use them around their pool as well.

Race Shed GIF by CBS

Maybe these folks can help you build a shed, they look fast! I'm in a similar boat, or shall I say pool ;) . Spent all my money on the pool, none left for the shed. Hooks on the fence it is for me with pole. Storage container for all the other little pieces. If you don't want a storage container by the pool, is there space and is it convenient by the equipment pad? Alas, unless you're willing to inflate/deflate the floats constantly, they're just gonna kind of be there. I thought 892 sq ft of pool surface area and 1300 sq ft of concrete was a lot until my wife and 4 kids put all the floats they "just have to have" in the pool 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Newdude
I have hooks screwed into the wooden fence to hang brush and net poles. Smaller things, like pool toys, tools, etc are in a storage box that sits behind the fence partition that hides the pool equipment. All nice and tidy around the pool deck!

We have 2 of the large Rubbermaid deck boxes and 2 of the Suncast seat/boxes

20230530_152131.jpg

At 10 years for the big ones and 8 with the little ones, they've seen better days but I will gladly use either company to replace them next year. We already blew the budget on lounge chairs and regular chairs this year.

Also, by dumb luck at the old place, I found that over the door Hooks work great on fences. The kind you would use to hang a wreath on the front door at Christmas time. They are cheap and can be found even cheaper on clearance after Christmas. They come in singles or multis and have 100 styles to choose from.

I did a pair of these on the fence for poles. Fits 3 poles no problem.
03912251.jpg

A pair of these for the vacuum hose. Spaced 16". Works perfectly but that hangs in my pool shed.
03912243.jpg

I have another pair of the smaller hooks that hold my brushes, net and rake but those hang in the pool shed also.

I have a box similar to the one Texas Splash posed that holds floats, noodles and toys.

If I were storing floats outside, I'd get a second box or a cheap laundry sorter with three mesh sections for noodles, kickboards, and smaller floats. There are also over-the-fence mesh sling hammocks for floats and noodles. I've also seen some cool DIY PVC versions of these, which store your floats sort of like file folders or in compartments. I think Frontgate's prices are exorbitant, but you can make a DIY version of almost everything they offer. There are plans floating around online, although I've never actually tried to build one.

For other stuff, we use over-the-fence hooks (aluminum hooks and fence) for poles, but they look almost exactly like the over-the-door wreath hangers. Everything else (i.e., net/skimmer, vacuum hose, skimmer socks, brush, measuring cup, bucket, and vacuum head) goes in a large Rubbermaid deck box. I inherited the Rubbermaid box from the previous owners about 7 years ago, and its plastic hinges are destroyed, so I just bought a 160-gallon Suncast deck box at Costco. I haven't put it together yet, but it was on sale for $99, which seemed like a good price for a box that size. I have a smaller Suncast deck box that I use to store outdoor pillows on our uncovered second-story deck and it's held up great, keeps things dry, and gets minimal spiders inside. I'm hoping the new one will work just as well.

I'd probably want my pole under the shade simply because 1) it's expensive 2) I'm worried about sun damage and 3) Texas gets HOT. Imagine touching a pole sitting out in the sun all day!

For the floaties, these are the big ones like innertubes and lounge floaters. I don't like deflating them because I always have to fire up my air compressor in the garage to air them up again and it's a pain. Nets/meshes on the fence to hold them there is a good idea. I originally was thinking eye screws with bungie cords.

I like the long deck box idea for everything else. I probably wouldn't put my MA in there, I have a separate (smaller) deck box I can probably use for that, although it probably won't fit more than 4 gallons, and I tend to buy way more than that for the season. Guess I'll get 2 big boxes.

Here's something close to what I was referring to.

View attachment 498019
What brand is that box / what store is it from?

I'll run these ideas by the wife and see if I can get approval for anything :ROFLMAO:

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: TeanyV and Newdude
My wife is tired of having poles, nets, brushes, other pool tools and floaties sitting on the back patio. I wanted to see if you folks had any storage ideas for these items. She was thinking of getting some hooks or racks so that we can attach those things to the wooden fence that goes around the backyard, but I'm worried about the sun beating down on stuff all day, especially plastic things. Sadly we don't have a big storage building out back.

Moved from here.
My pool has been running for a week and I too am tired of having stuff everywhere. I purchased this deck box from Sam's - saw a Costco version at a friend's house but this one is larger and cheaper.

Let us know you're not a robot - Sam's Club

I plan to store cushions and pool equipment inside. Probably will put a little deck box inside to hold the chemicals and other smaller pool stuff.

Reactions: voidpointer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an ABG with a deck with a railing. I have a dozen or so of these - Husky 8 in. L Heavy-Duty Black Vinyl-Coated Steel Rafter Hanger Storage Hook 50 lbs. 816420 - The Home Depot

The fit over the top of my deck rail, and then I use them to hang whatever needs hanging. I like the fact that I can reposition them, because depending on what "amazing new favorite" float my family finds in the store, we have different sized ones blown up.

For the vac head, my skimmer plate, and other small stuff - that lives in a plastic milk crate. A different milk crate holds the small toys (splash balls, those torpedo things, and whatever else we acquire)

*Update*

Bjs had the 134 gallon Suncast deck boxes on clearance for $124 (down from $300), so I bought 2.

I am very disappointed in them. The front and back panels don't seat properly in the corners, bowing them inward. They snap together and there is nothing to mess up or install wrong with the panels.

20230609_150350.jpg

That makes the top not line up to close correctly.

20230609_150223.jpg

I don't need them to lock so I removed the lock bar thingie and the tops are warped (brand new) and don't lay flat on their own.

20230608_213930.jpg

The hinges seat themselves into the lid and sides so I can't adjust them to center the lid or correct the warp.

To top that off, the material is so soft, I scratched the snot out of them standing them up to move them with a hand truck after assembling them in the garage. I was gentle and the garage floor is clean.

20230609_173505.jpg

I have a complaint lodged with Suncast and will update with their response. If they don't stand behind their product I will likely return them to BJs.

I don't care that the one for the pool toys/floats would get wet inside, but the one for towels and such needs to be dry.

• Wow
Reactions: jark87
*Update*

Bjs had the 134 gallon Suncast deck boxes on clearance for $124 (down from $300), so I bought 2.

I am very disappointed in them. The front and back panels don't seat properly in the corners, bowing them inward. They snap together and there is nothing to mess up or install wrong with the panels.

View attachment 502073

That makes the top not line up to close correctly.

View attachment 502074

I don't need them to lock so I removed the lock bar thingie and the tops are warped (brand new) and don't lay flat on their own.

View attachment 502075

The hinges seat themselves into the lid and sides so I can't adjust them to center the lid or correct the warp.

To top that off, the material is so soft, I scratched the snot out of them standing them up to move them with a hand truck after assembling them in the garage. I was gentle and the garage floor is clean.

View attachment 502076

I have a complaint lodged with Suncast and will update with their response. If they don't stand behind their product I will likely return them to BJs.

I don't care that the one for the pool toys/floats would get wet inside, but the one for towels and such needs to be dry.
I am glad I read this whole post. I saw the discount you got them for (we use BJs) and I was about to tell my wife to get them…then I read the rest. I got a five spot says they send you two new ones but I’m not confident they will be built any better. Thanks for the review!

I got a five spot says they send you two new ones
Welp. I get $5 for my troubles at least, so there is that.

Suncast suggested I pry the boxes closed and let them sit in the sun to warp back. I replied that it was possible as a short term fix, but it would only get worse over time and if they didn't stand behind there products on day 1, they surely wouldn't next year. I told them I'd likely return them and avoid their products in the future. They replied back that they understood and were sorry I wasn't happy with their product.

So, i add yet another company to my loooooooong list of avoid at all costs. It's a crying shame what quality control has become these days.

Suncast suggested I pry the boxes closed and let them sit in the sun to warp back. I replied that it was possible as a short term fix, but it would only get worse over time and if they didn't stand behind there products on day 1, they surely wouldn't next year. I told them I'd likely return them and avoid their products in the future. They replied back that they understood and were sorry I wasn't happy with their product.

So, i add yet another company to my loooooooong list of avoid at all costs. It's a crying shame what quality control has become these days.
Wow, that’s unreal. Could you not return them for a refund because of clearance? Regardless, Suncast should make it right. I have several Suncast storage boxes and they’re all great.

Could you not return them for a refund because of clearance?
I have 90 days (?) at Bjs, little questions asked. The irony is that they will punt them back to Suncast and Suncast is eating them either way, but this way, they're not out replacements also.
Suncast should make it right.
I had high hopes having been very satisfied with them for years and years. It ends today.

Zelle? ;)
Suncast suggested I pry the boxes closed and let them sit in the sun to warp back.
Consumer: Your product was broke when I took it out of the box.
Manufacturer: Oh, it’s designed that way. Give it time and it will break some more and be just what you’re looking for.

Amazing!

Poolmaster Pool Tool Organizers are great if you don't have a lot of storage space for a container and are looking for a place to hang nets, poles, etc. It's a top product and I use it in my own backyard with a container for floats, toys, etc.
poolmaster-pool-tool-organizer.jpeg

I have hooks screwed into the wooden fence to hang brush and net poles. Smaller things, like pool toys, tools, etc are in a storage box that sits behind the fence partition that hides the pool equipment. All nice and tidy around the pool deck!
My pool is extremely tidy too and we are lucky to have a big pool shed around the corner where we can hang things on the side. I did have to ask if you have ever had a pool party and your guests destroyed the pool area! In this case it was my stepson and wife, 3 year old grandson, her sister and husband and 4 year old. Everything that could have been on the ground or in the pool was. Towels, water bottles, beer cans, hard seltzer cans, noodles, floaties, toys. And yes they left it that way.

These people are in their late 30's. They destroyed the house too. Thank God they live 3 hours away. I threatened my husband with NEVER having them back or I was leaving. For good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.