Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Still does not look right

Pstallworth

Aug 20, 2019
Orlando
Hi All, Truly in need of some expert input. I just had my pool resurfaced and chose the Stonescapes Mini Pebble. It didn't look right to me from the beginning. After waiting 2 months as I was asked, the installer came out 2 weeks ago to look at the pool with me. He tells me that this is exactly how it is supposed to look, that most people want a smooth surface. When I explain the reason I chose the mini pebble over a quartz aggregate was, well the PEBBLE! He tells me he can drain my pool and do an acid wash. I'm not too thrilled. I did not want to agree to something that I didn't fully understand if it was the proper solution. My additional concern was that the pallet that was delivered to my house contained 18 bags Portland white cement; 32 bags gold mini pebble; 6 bags white mini pebble; 2 bags black mini pebble; 5 caribbean blue dye. My pool is very large - my estimate is over 1,000 square feet in surface area based on size and depth. The pallet delivered is close to 3 batches of the caribbean blue - though white pebble is not in the formula. That would cover 750 sq. ft. whereas my pool is closer to 1,100 . I've asked the installer if he used additional materials and he doesn't know. I've asked the installer what size pool did he calculate for. He doesn't know. I didn't bother asking why white pebble was delivered and appears to be in my pool. Finally, I called NPT directly and spoke to the local representative. I sent him the pictures. He tells me I have an exposure problem. He tells me this is within the acceptable range of exposure. He tells me my only option is to have the pool acid washed if I am not happy with the exposure. I ask him very pointedly to repeat that this photo represents acceptable range of the product application which he confirms again. I ask him why I have any white pebble in the pool at all - he says I need to ask the installer but he can tell by the picture that I received enough pebble for the size pool. Lastly, I ask him if he has any concern whatsoever that the installer doesn't know what was put into my pool and if it was enough for the size pool I have. He was not. Help. What do I do? Do I move forward with the acid wash? Am I calling the right people?

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 280
  • pool immediately after.jpg
    pool immediately after.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 274
If you were expecting the first photo and got the second, I wouldn't be happy either. The NPT "representative" works for the industry, whose client is the pool builder, not the pool owner. What does that tell you about his opinion?

Acid washing has risks if the installer does not know what he is doing. We have had people here report acid washed that have taken off too much plaster and pebbles came loose over time. Finishes have been ruined by acid washes.

If I were you I would leave it be. Your finish looks better than many others we hear about.

Reactions: Pstallworth
You got what you got. Negotiate with the PB for a discount if you have not made final payment yet rather than an acid wash. Or have the installer give you some other free services to make you happy.

Did you see the application process, The samples are washed with a spray wand which gives really good stone exposure. In some parts of the country they wash with a water hose after application and sponge wash, this means less exposure but a smoother surface. Normally this is explained ahead of time.

It seems like a different material or maybe aged? looks like on the sample, a lot of material was used vs your pool where maybe they just used half of what they needed. Also, the yellow pebbles on the sample are no where to be found. If I where you, I would ask for a refund of the difference between what you paid and white plaster or a redo.

Did you see the application process, The samples are washed with a spray wand which gives really good stone exposure. In some parts of the country they wash with a water hose after application and sponge wash, this means less exposure but a smoother surface. Normally this is explained ahead of time.
Unfortunately I did not see the application but it seems obvious they did the latter. Never said they could do it with more or less exposure. They absolutely should have told me. I would not have done this. Would have bumped up to pebbletec.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems like a different material or maybe aged? looks like on the sample, a lot of material was used vs your pool where maybe they just used half of what they needed. Also, the yellow pebbles on the sample are no where to be found. If I where you, I would ask for a refund of the difference between what you paid and white plaster or a redo.
I’m absolutely convinced they cheated me on the pebble AND put the wrong combination of pebbles. No question at all. The problem is the Pb says it’s just great but he will do an acid wash. And the manufacturer could give a hoot. That I was very surprised by. I thought to become certified installer they had some standards. Buyer beware. I want a pebble finish. But if they won’t do that the very least I expect the differe refunded.

Manufacturer only warrantees defects in the materials they supply. They do not warrant how the installers use their product. And the installer is their customer, not you.

Manufacturer only warrantees defects in the materials they supply. They do not warrant how the installers use their product. And the installer is their customer, not you.
Right. Yes I understand that. I just thought they would be interested in how their product is installed. Especially if underutilizing pebble and using combinations that are not proper formula. You know, boot leg like. But they do not.

I’m absolutely convinced they cheated me on the pebble AND put the wrong combination of pebbles. No question at all. The problem is the Pb says it’s just great but he will do an acid wash. And the manufacturer could give a hoot. That I was very surprised by. I thought to become certified installer they had some standards. Buyer beware. I want a pebble finish. But if they won’t do that the very least I expect the differe refunded.

Looks like the guy just did whatever he wanted to...unfortunately seems like this is a common thread in the pool industry. Hopefully you didn't pay him more than half. If thats the case, tell him to do whatever it takes to make it look like the sample you were presented, and that the final payment will be withheld until when and if that takes place.

Looks like the guy just did whatever he wanted to...unfortunately seems like this is a common thread in the pool industry. Hopefully you didn't pay him more than half. If thats the case, tell him to do whatever it takes to make it look like the sample you were presented, and that the final payment will be withheld until when and if that takes place.
Unfortunately I was not smart and paid. He’s offered to acid wash it atno expense to me other than draining and refilling 20,000 plus gallons of water. My concern is that isn’t going to do it because he cheated me on pebble. But I do t seem to have much choice. If he can make it pebble, great. If he doesn’t I’ll take him to small claims court to try and recover some amount. I don’t know. Was hoping others had better answer for me ☹️

I'm not positive on the formulation as I have limited experience with mini pebble and pebble tech but it definitely was under exposed from the usual that I have seen. An acid wash CAN eat some plaster and expose more pebble but it's a trap shoot unless the guy is experienced. I've seen just as many botch jobs as good ones. Over time you will have some wear on the plaster and it will expose more stone naturally but that's a long term solution. I would ask the installer if he has a pool you can look at that's had an acid wash and see what you think. The problem I see alot is blotchy plaster after a wash where areas are over exposed compared to others. Theres no fix for that so if it eats too much your SOL. I personally think the color on the far away shot is nice but the texture is not there judging by the close up. If you end up washing it see if they can keep it minimal you dont need alot off you are real close as is. Problem is fix up jobs usually aren't top priority and if hes been paid in full it's even less priority the labor and materials come out of his pocket now

I would focus on the sample you were shown vs what you received. Ask for the Stonescapes warranty info it will have your name and address and on it, then use that as proof of color and product. NPT should have an order with your name and the delivered material can be compared to the batch formula. Use this to pressure builder to redo job. Contact NPT again and if that does not help reach out to other location or corporate office. In my experience NPT has been pretty helpful to the customer, if that doesn't work try your Contractors Board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.