Walnutport, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Our pool is done, hydroseeding is done and the boulder wall is done. WOOHOO! But now I look back at our house and it's ugly. We have a bi-level home, so the back lower level is seen easily from the pool. Has anyone covered the concrete part of a foundation with stone veneer? I keep seeing Airstone (at Lowe's) and the application seems to easy to be true - but it is a pricey for the amount we'd need. We are decent DIY'ers, and don't mind trying to tackle this.

Sorry for the poor quality pic - I have to grab a still from a video from my petsitting page to show what area I mean :LOL:

house.jpg

Oh I def won't try real stone myself (or anything that requires actual cutting/mortar. The AirStone is just stick and go (hence the appeal!) LOL!

Reactions: Pv2
I would put some plantings or a sculpture there for visual appeal.

It's the whole back of the house - under the deck too. But making a perennial bed is a good idea for that section. DUH!

Id lean more toward the landscape approach. Not only will shrubs, flowers, etc hide or visually soften the wall, it will add color and a nice finished look.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
whoa! nice!

Kinda reminds me of that faux brick they sold in the 70's
each "brick" was the width and height of a standard brick only they were super light and only about 1/4" thick if I recall.
It also came with some black stuff you mixed together then applied to the wall as the adhesive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would do lick em’ and stick em’ back there. We are talking about cultured stone right? Mortar base with screen and apply? Or you guys talking about something else.

I think it would look good.

I like the AirStone stuff because you can just apply adhesive and go. I actually don't care if it is real stone or manufactured for this.

Hey miss. Just my $.02. Feel free to agree or disagree. I would vote for landscaping. It will add color and beautify the area.

There are many Faux stone finishes that you can do pretty easily yourself but personally I find it tacky when someone has pretty stone work abutting Vinyl. We have a lot of houses by me that are designed to look like million dollar homes at half the cost. So they have a brick/stone front with the back and sides vinyl. To me it calls more attention to the fact that it isn’t all done, when a nicer vinyl would have looked plenty nice all around instead of cheaping out. But the area does need something to make it ‘pop’ now that you’ll be looking at it all the time so that’s where my as colorful as possible landscaping vote comes from.

Something like @jmikeb is the exception to my normal way of seeing it. He has a clearly defined area to transition between the two styles so his stone area looks like it belongs.

Point well taken, @Newdude . I didn't even think of using vinyl siding to cover it. The section I have circled will be easy with landscaping - it's to the left (under the deck) that will be hard because little sunlight gets there. I actually hate the way the underside of the deck looks in general, but fixing that will be a whole other (big) landscaping project. Maybe we can do that in a year or two.

I think I'll start with a perennial bed in the circled area to appease my 'ugh that looks so ugly' obsession right now :D

If it helps any, I toooooootally feel your struggle. We have a big side yard and a smaller back yard. We never used the backyard before the pool. I was only ever back there to mow the lawn. Hanging out at the swing set or giant fire pit was all in the side yard. It took about 2 years to make the backyard look as nice as the pool. The minute that was done we turned around and looked at the back of the house. Saw the 35 year old rotting deck and sliding glass doors that we had rarely used before the pool. Ick. Kiss another $15k goodbye to have new sliders to a second story deck with a 6 ft staircase down to the pool. Add some more to spruce up the same in between area that you have. It. NEVER. Ends. Lol. Now we sit and eat at the kitchen table looking out the perfectly clear sliders and unobstructed view down the wide stairs. (I suggested that one to you last time. LOVE it.).

Also another thought about the stone finish. If you do decide to do the whole bottom area across the back, it will be hard to tie in at the side corners and you will forever be looking at them from either end of the pool. Once you do the sides of the house the front won’t match ....... and so on .... and so on.....

Looking again at the pic, under the deck is gonna be a doozy. White lattice would both match the deck and break up the dead zone, but you’d also be closing off that window there so it’s not ideal. When I was at my local nursery this year they had a bunch of lawn ornament kind of things made out of stained glass. They had all kinds of sunflowers, butterflies, etc in many different sizes. So they were basically pink flamingos but much much prettier. Maybe a couple of those closer to the deck posts would help draw the attention from the underside of the deck.

And hang big colorful flowerpots from the outside edge of the deck.

Or red white and blue bunting under the deck and nicer stone planters with fake flowers at the deck posts. Sorry my brain is working in spurts today.

LOL, so true! I did love your suggestion of the wider staircase at the base. I can see that making a world of difference!

But yeah, just take all my money now and get it over with ?

Great ideas!

Can't close off that portion - the kids have a sand and water trough built in between two of the deck support posts. And the dogs go to the bathroom there when it rains :ROFLMAO:

Love the idea of some sort of fabric with the larger planters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.