Stinging sensation – bonding issue, stray voltage, or something else?

The stinging feeling is only repeatable usually after swimming for some time with one foot in the water and one on the pool deck. Perhaps due to lowered resistance on our skin?
I'd say it's because of the puddle you inadvertently made on the deck. When you come back later dry, and/or with shoes on, you lose some of the conductivity.

I’m not sure what NEV is but we do live in a semi rural area. 5 miles from town with about 60 houses in the neighborhood.
Neutral to earth voltage. A common problem in rural areas where the power transmission lines can become imbalanced due to non-uniformn phase loads causing a voltage drop along the neutral line. The problem is that most power cos will not do anything about it until it gets much higher than what you are measuring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Neutral to earth voltage. A common problem in rural areas where the power transmission lines can become imbalanced due to non-uniformn phase loads causing a voltage drop along the neutral line. The problem is that most power cos will not do anything about it until it gets much higher than what you are measuring.
I have many neighbors with pools that I would think should run into NEV if I did.

Any thoughts on the continuity test and static sound on bolts installed after concrete pour?

Everything that is bonded should read at low ohms.

If the meter reads "O.L" (Open Line), then there is no continuity.

If you get a different erratic reading, it might be due to voltage.

static sound on bolts installed after concrete pour?
What is the voltage reading at the same spot?

Note that voltage readings are always voltage differences.

So, if you measure 1 volt somewhere, it does not mean that there is only 1 volt.

One spot might be at 120 volts and the other spot might be at 121 volts and you will only measure 1 volt.

It is difficult to get a true zero reference to see what the voltage really is.

Everything that is bonded should read at low ohms.

If the meter reads "O.L" (Open Line), then there is no continuity.

If you get a different erratic reading, it might be due to voltage.

What is the voltage reading at the same spot?

Note that voltage readings are always voltage differences.

So, if you measure 1 volt somewhere, it does not mean that there is only 1 volt.

One spot might be at 120 volts and the other spot might be at 121 volts and you will only measure 1 volt.

It is difficult to get a true zero reference to see what the voltage really is.
Thanks @JamesW - the voltage readings on the slide bolts are anywhere from 1.37-1.6. When I tested the continuity previously, it didn't display an ohms reading just the static sound.

I have many neighbors with pools that I would think should run into NEV if I did.

Any thoughts on the continuity test and static sound on bolts installed after concrete pour?
Not always. If a pool is bonded properly so that both the water and the decking are at the same potential, then you will not experience any shocks between the water and the deck even though NEV might exists. The issues come from improper bonding so it can be localized to only your pool.

However, one way to determine if NEV exists is you can measure it at your house and also measure it at someone else's house on the same block. It is a fairly simple measurement. You just measure the voltage between the house neutral/ground and a rod in the ground (not connected to power co's neutral) 10'-20' away from the house's ground rod. Anything above 0 is NEV.

Probably due to the voltage.

Do you have anyone scheduled to come out and check anything?

Maybe the Oscilloscope will give us some useful information.
The inspector has stated he won’t approve the final inspection until a third party comes in to evaluate and ensure there is no voltage differential present. That is planned for next week.

Sounds like you guys suspect the root cause is still likely a bonding issue? As far as I recall, I’m not sure there was any mesh or rebar added which I would imagine makes the bonding more effective.

@JamesW Got the O scope. First time using one so took a bit. I’m not sure it’s showing exactly what’s needed but let me know thoughts.

Picture 1 is water to back slide screws
Picture 2 is water to concrete
Picture 3 is water to front slide screws

Attachments

• 1A70FAE0-D9A2-4C54-A216-667B2A1BD2E9.jpeg
    1A70FAE0-D9A2-4C54-A216-667B2A1BD2E9.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 34FE9FD1-5373-4A57-AC65-2C9E1DDECB30.jpeg
    34FE9FD1-5373-4A57-AC65-2C9E1DDECB30.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 12
  • A02BF44C-5CDA-4DCC-BD20-0FE92A789C2E.jpeg
    A02BF44C-5CDA-4DCC-BD20-0FE92A789C2E.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.