Still Trying

RCarnochan

May 19, 2019
Greensboro, MD
My pool is getting better, but still trying to understand CYA. My FC is 9 right now, I just added 4 gallons of bleach to raise it. Adding this raised my FC to 28. Currently CYA is 30. I have stabalizer in the pool. I have consulted the CYA/Chlorine chart and it says that my CYA should be 70. Is is ok to still slam even though my CYA is not yet where I need it.

The real pros will be along shortly, but during a SLAM you want to have a lower CYA because it will require LESS bleach to clear your pool. With a CYA of 30, your SLAM FC should be 12. Any bleach you add that brings FC much above 12 will be quickly consumed by the sun. Test and dose as often as possible to keep your FC at 12, raising FC to 28 is simply pouring money down the drain. After your SLAM is over and your pool is in perfect shape, you can raise your CYA up to 70, if that is your goal.

As thetekgeek said, do not raise your FC significantly above your SLAM level FC. Not only is it a waste of chlorine, it can damage your vinyl liner.
Only raise your CYA to 70 when you are going to use your SWCG to maintain your FC in the target range. Right now you are in SLAM mode, so your pool is treated as a non-SWCG pool.

When you complete the three criteria for a successful SLAM, you will add salt and CYA and adjust your FC, if necessary, with liquid chlorine and start the SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.