Jul 5, 2017
Greenville, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Guys,
We are building a new house and a new pool. The last pool we built was gunite and this time around I am considering fiberglass. I initially thought fiberglass would be a little less expensive but that does not seem to be the case. I really like the model we are considering. It is 40'x15.5' and has an integrated spa.

A few things that stood out to me:
- Pool Automation $3,500 I have the Pentair automation on my current pool and honestly it is a little frustrating and wonky through the app so I may nix this just worried I will regret it. This was lumped in the cost of my current pool so maybe I am just ignorant on how much this cost.
- 250k BTU propane heater $4,700 Again this may just be my ignorance because I currently do not have a spa/heater.
- Waterline tile 5000-$6,000 This one has me scratching my head it seems really expensive for 6"x6" waterline tile but I do know it is a little different process.
- Autofill Line $1,250 I asked for just a buried line that hooks up to my water spigot dumping out into the skimmer like my current pool so I do not have to drag a hose but they quoted an autofill so I may be able t get this revised.

Because the house build is getting more expensive by the day I am trying to save money on the pool. I requested a very basic salt finish concrete deck and cantilevered concrete coping which are standard for the builder. It is also very little decking only around 350 square feet mainly because it is right off of my 600 square foot patio so do not feel like I need that much. All in the estimate was around $78k. I built my current gunite pool which admittedly is much smaller 14'x32' for $64k three years ago and that was with 850 square feet of paver decking, flagstone coping, 12" raised flagstone beam with waterfall and a 12'x20' cedar pergola. I guess I am just experiencing sticker shock and curious if this pricing is inline with what others have paid for a fiberglass pool. I'm planning on getting additional quotes both fiberglass and gunite but this has been my favorite fiberglass model so far. Attaching pic of drawing for reference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 1.23.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 1.23.56 PM.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
Hey MCow !! The automation, heater and auto fill seem about right for name brand stuff. The tile can vary wildly depending on the appearance tier you are in, subway tiles would be dirt cheap but blah. Fancy glass would cost an arm and a leg but be bling-tastic.

Unfortunately right now with demand through the roof, the builders can name their price and there will still be a line of customers around the corner. Half of them agree to pay it and the price goes up again and they still have 6 months worth of people willing to pay it.

I myself keep going back and forth about building now or waiting it out, so I feel ya if it helps any. keep us posted.

I’m in the process of a FG pool as well. I signed last fall...waiting on permits now. Here’s what i was quoted for some things. Heater...$2500 (didn’t get, don’t want). Automation (again have no use for) $2500 for the controller. I’m not getting water line tile or a quote for it. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Casey
I would *not* put tile on a fiberglass pool- the pool itself looks so nice and smooth that tile would just make it look like a vinyl lined pool.
Heaters, automation can all be added after if desired.
The water spigot is a brilliant idea.... I wish I had one! Get that!

Maddie :flower:

Thanks guys for the replies! The heater is mandatory if I go with the model with the spa and if I get rid of the automation it brings me down to about $75k which was what I wanted to spend max. I made a little mistake with my numbers it is actually $78k plus the cost of the waterline tile. This helps maybe I am just overthinking the waterline tile though. I had just heard about issues with discoloration on the waterline without them but maybe I am worrying for nothing. Ascetically I do not really care one way or another besides the discoloration. Waiting on a quote form the PB that built my last pool. If it is close I will probably go with gunite again even though my wife liked the quicker build process of fiberglass.

- Waterline tile 5000-$6,000 This one has me scratching my head it seems really expensive for 6"x6" waterline tile but I do know it is a little different process.
That does seem very expensive for tiles, but is about what FG manufacturers are charging for them. We had about the same price quoted for us when we were shopping around for a FG pool. We were told, for our shell, Latham installs them at the factory, by hand, and that slow process can hold up their production lines, and so they charge that. On top of the price, there was only a small amount of choices to pick. Honestly, if the price was say, $1k, I probably would have went with them. Probably no need in a FG pool, but with that price tag, that's a hard no.

For $3,500 on the automation, I think that is a much better investment, but find out what system. Is automation necessary? Maybe not, but a few people I have heard from around here says it like this... Are remotes for cars or power windows necessary? Not really, but would you get a car without them these days? I know the feeling of climbing prices for add ons, but think in the long run, a $3,500 investment in the right automation system will have bigger rewards than negatives in the long run.

All of the heater costs listed seem very excessive. I have the biggest hayward heat pump they make, and it was $4,800 installed - your builder wants $6,800? The price you listed for the 250K gas heater seems higher than what 400K heater should cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That does seem very expensive for tiles, but is about what FG manufacturers are charging for them. We had about the same price quoted for us when we were shopping around for a FG pool. We were told, for our shell, Latham installs them at the factory, by hand, and that slow process can hold up their production lines, and so they charge that. On top of the price, there was only a small amount of choices to pick. Honestly, if the price was say, $1k, I probably would have went with them. Probably no need in a FG pool, but with that price tag, that's a hard no.

For $3,500 on the automation, I think that is a much better investment, but find out what system. Is automation necessary? Maybe not, but a few people I have heard from around here says it like this... Are remotes for cars or power windows necessary? Not really, but would you get a car without them these days? I know the feeling of climbing prices for add ons, but think in the long run, a $3,500 investment in the right automation system will have bigger rewards than negatives in the long run.
So I got a second FG quote and the tile was like $4,200 so still expensive but better. That is interesting though because the first FG PB said they do not do the tile it is an outside service but it will cost $5-6k depending on the tile we pick out. I guess it boggles my mind because I can buy 6x6 pool tiles online for like a $1.75ea just like the ones I have now. It would be $400 so doubling that for mark up it is still $4-5k in labor which seems like a lot to me to lay 225 tiles.

I have automation now and I like it but honestly just not worth $3,500 to me. The second FG PB quoted $2,000 and the Gunite PB was only $900 more. Just feel in general the first FF PB was really jacking up the pricing.

All of the heater costs listed seem very excessive. I have the biggest hayward heat pump they make, and it was $4,800 installed - your builder wants $6,800? The price you listed for the 250K gas heater seems higher than what 400K heater should cost.
The heater was $4,700 for a 250BTU and I actually got the same price from another fiberglass builder. I got a quote from a gunite pool builder and it was $2,900 for a Pentair 400BTU so yes totally agree the prices seem really high from the fiberglass guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.