Stenner Pump Question

davethomaspilot

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2015
Apex,NC
I have an Intellichem. It has Stenner pumps for dosing chlorine and acid.

I think the pumps it uses are 45MP2. These are rated to 25 psi. The pumps regularly see over 30 psi.

I frequently have to bleed air out of the chlorine dosing line. I don't know why. I've replaced the injectors and the but still, I have to bleed air out of the line about once a week. I rarely have to do it on the acid feed, but the acid dosing is far less than required for chlorine, at least during hot, summer weather.

Stenner has a 100 psi pump. It seems like the only difference is the inclusion of an "injection check valve"? But, I think the injectors I'm using are a check valve. Maybe my setup is good for 100 psi, and my need to bleed air is a result of something else?

Hey Dave...I am not sure what you mean by bleeding your stenner pump tubes. I've never had to do that. That being said here are some comments.

Since your Stenner should be inserting chlorine after your filter (and probably your heater), you probably won't get close to having 25psi at the injection point (with an In-Floor-Cleaning-System you might get close). In general, there is a lot of slop/margin built into those numbers. Also, as you mentioned, you already have the injection check valve...that IS the difference between the Stenner ratings. So, I don't think your problem is related to the 25psi/100psi "limitation" at all.

I suspect you have a (some) slow air leak(s) in the suction side of the Stenner pump...somewhere between the Stenner pump head output and your your line input which begins at the bottom of your tank. Recheck all your connections and tubes in those areas.

I recently had a leak in this same section of my chlorine pump and traced it to a connection of the pump itself. When I fixed the tube, I also put in one of these (see below) which really helps to determine if your Stenner pump is dosing correctly when you are using the black non-transparent UV tubing. It also functions as a check valve, so I removed the little rubber check valve at my insertion point which I have had a couple problems with in the past.

This is the link for the 3/8" tubing, there should also be a 1/4" one available.

Reactions: davethomaspilot
Thanks!

I'll check the input side tubes for leaks and replace if necessary.

How does the flow indicator work? Does the little white ball bounce up and down while dosing? So, if it's not dosing, the ball doesn't bounce?
I found that the ball can even bounce up and down when the tube has just a little bit of fluid (probably water from the other side) in it, but it is clearly air bubbles rather than chlorine flowing through it when I had my tube leak. However, I did see one recent post where someone complained that they did not see the ball move when they run their Stenner. My chlorine Stenner pumps 2oz/min and I can clearly see it bobbing.

Here is where I have bought my Stenner parts and here is the 1/4” part

This part won’t fix a leak, but it should help you know when you get one.

Just ordered!

I'm using 5 gallon containers for chlorine tanks, with the 1/4" black tube just inserted into a hole a the top of the container. If there's a leak in the tubing that's usually beneath the chlorine level, that would explain a lot. Normally, when I need to bleed again, I switch to a full 5 gallon container of chlorine.

Today, I'll remove the intake like and see if I can find a leak--maybe pressurize under water.

Be sure to check that your tube is not slightly “curling up” inside the tank and thus sucking air when the chlorine level gets low. It’s less likely that the tube will have a leak right in the middle (usually a leak is at a junction) unless it was created when pushed through a small jagged hole. Are you using one of the Stenner weights on the tube to hold the end down? I just push my weighted tube far enough so the weight sits sideways at the bottom the tank.

I'm confident the tube is not curling up inside the tank--I take care to prevent that.

But, I didn't know about "Stenner weights". On Amazon, I see one that has a strainer and another that just has a clip. Do you have a recommendation for which to get?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use the one with the strainer...I've actually never seen the other one before. But you have to be able to get it down inside your tank (I think a 1" opening)...not sure how the intellichem tank handles that.

Here's how I did it a few years ago, see the pictures starting here:

Also for that strainer, the guy on eBay seems to beat all...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.