Stenner Pump priming?

My Stenner self primes. I have a flow meter on the suction side and can see liquid flow after a few minutes. I think you should look for a leak on the suction side tubing and fittings. If you have a duck-bill check valve it may be installed backwards. Good luck.

Even a small leak on the suction side of the pump tube fitting will cause it not to prime. That fitting is the most common place to have a tiny air leak. It could have a tiny piece of debris in it, or simply not be tight enough.

I've seen a pinhole in the suction tubing, but that's very rare.

Thanks guys,

I've been pretty busy but I'll be looking at this very carefully tomorrow morning.

The weird thing is that is when I checked the check valve it was pressurized...the moment I unscrewed it I heard the air "pop" is that normal?

When you unscrew the check valve from the piping or the tubing from the check valve?
While there should be a little pressure against the check valve from the injection pump and from the pool pump, there shouldn't be enough to 'pop'.

I'm not sure what I'm doing here..I made this quick video to show you guys:
Priming problem - YouTube

I flipped the little plastic thing inside of the check valve around but water just shot up the tubing...so I went ahead and just tested without the check valve and got what you see in the video...no audio because I just recently broke my phone's mic :-o

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take the fitting off the suction side of the pump tube and make sure the ferrule is turned the right direction. Then put it back on and use a pair of pliers to gently tighten the fitting onto the pump tube while holding the end of the pump tube with a second pair of pliers. Be gentle.

In the video it sure looks like your roller assembly is fully expanded but it's hard to tell for sure. This video will show you how to expand/contract the roller assembly and replace the tube.

I would check to be sure the roller is fully expanded and the ferrules correctly installed. If trouble persists then pull the tube and inspect it for damage or even install the replacement.

If I remember correctly my pump was shipped with the roller assembly retracted.

Stenner QuickPro Pump Head Replacement Single Head Fixed Output - YouTube

In the video it sure looks like your roller assembly is fully expanded but it's hard to tell for sure. This video will show you how to expand/contract the roller assembly and replace the tube.

I would check to be sure the roller is fully expanded and the ferrules correctly installed. If trouble persists then pull the tube and inspect it for damage or even install the replacement.

If I remember correctly my pump was shipped with the roller assembly retracted.

Stenner QuickPro Pump Head Replacement Single Head Fixed Output - YouTube
This may be it! I totally only expanded the roller as much as I could by hand...urg!

I need to find time to get out there tonight and try this....thanks

That wasn't it :-/ ...I may have to re order those plastic things that go on the tubing to create a good seal...they are crushed and as far as I can tell doing their job but it must be the problem because the tubing is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.