Stenner install - Pentair ET8

GDN

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
Thanks again to all for the great information provided on this site. I made the decision to install a Stenner pump to handle my chlorine for the pool, all the info I needed was here in different threads. I’ll try to pull it together in one place, or as much as I needed to get installed and rolling

I made the decision to go Stenner and liquid over a SWG due to the initial cost, from there others say the costs may be about equal to SWG’s over time. Everyone’s mileage may vary, but I’ve just read too many threads about the upkeep of the SWG’s and their lifespan, plus many varying stories about damage to stone and deck from salt. In a few years I may change my mind and go salt, but for now – it’s a Stenner and liquid. As a side note our PB didn’t want to do salt (they said they would it if we really wanted but from their experience the upkeep and repair wasn’t worth it). I know, however, that the PB’s don’t always know best and I wouldn’t use my PB to build another one anyway.

I chose a fixed speed pump because I’ve got a good timer setup with the Pentair ET8.. The variable speed pumps also require more maintenance so I wanted to stay away from that. I chose the 45MPHP10 - 10 GPD. It gives me the ability to pump the chlorine I need in about 30 minutes. The best price I could find was at Lockewell.com in Orlando. I bought it online and shipping was quick. It’s mounted outside so I bought the rain hood for it too.

I found a good 15 gallon barrel on Craigslist for $20. The seller had tons of them, so I bought 2 just to have a backup at that price. I spent about 30 bucks for wire, conduit, 220 plug, and a weather box. Total investment about $300 plus my time. I’m somewhat handy and used the good documentation from others here at TFP, so I took on the wiring and adding to the ET8 myself. I used a free relay and redid a couple of other relays so that they would only run if the pool pump was on. If the pump isn’t on, it won’t pump chlorine. I wanted to make it easy to take the pump down if necessary so I wired a 220 receptacle to the relay/ET8 and then plugged the pump in to that. I didn’t cut the plug off to wire it directly into the panel. This gives me the flexibility if I need to take the pump down or replace the pumping tube.

I got the wiring completed and measured where I wanted the tank and where I would inject to the plumbing. I then took an opportunity to test my pumps true output using water. I did a couple of tests and I measured about 1.2 ounces per minute. The pump documentation says it will pump at .89 oz. per minute, so I’m getting a little more than Stenner says I would.

I had studied where I wanted to inject into the pool plumbing. I can get a little OCD with stuff like this and was afraid of doing something that might not work or I’d mess up some plumbing and be without a pump for a day or two. My first preference was to tap the pipe – so I bought the recommended drill bit and tap (23/32” ½ drill bit and ½ inch 14 pipe thread tap.) I ordered those off of Amazon. When I ordered I also bought my backup plan, a 2 inch PVC T with the ½ fpt. The T was my backup if I messed up the tap in the PVC and needed to cut it out, I would put the T in its place. I bought a one foot piece of 2” PVC and tested tapping a couple of holes. Drilling and tapping in my “test pipe” was very easy and as reported the pipe is plenty thick to hold the injector. At the end of the day I had something else I wanted to investigate and it worked. I took the drain plug out of my Nature 2 device (the Nature 2 uses a metals cartridge and holds tri-chlor pucks for chlorination, I don’t use the Nature 2 cartridge any more) – I found it has ¼ inch threads on the drain plug. I took the o-ring off the plug, put it on the ¼ threads of the stenner injector and it was a perfect fit. I really liked this as I didn’t have to drill or touch the plumbing in any other way. I’ve read this is potentially a hazard should anyone ever use the Nature 2 for pucks again as you shouldn’t mix 2 sources of chlorine at the same injection place. I have no plans to put pucks in and if I need to for some reason I’ll turn the stenner pump off. If I ever sell the house I can always drill the pipe and add the chlorine at my original choice just after the Nature 2 so I don’t leave anything dangerous behind.

I added a few gallons of chlorine to my tank, set up two timers injecting half the chlorine about noon and the other half in the evening. I also added an egg timer and a button to my ET control so that if I ever have a party or a storm or need extra chlorine – I hit the button and I get 15 minutes of chlorine at the touch of a button.

I’ve been running about 2 weeks and couldn’t be happier. I test the water each day and so far I’ve been almost perfect on the FC. if the chlorine starts to creep up or down I’ll just adjust my timers by a minute or two to keep the chlorine at the desired level. The ET8 panel makes using this super easy.

IMG_0434_zps4vp5d5nx.jpg

IMG_0433_zps2ppzrewv.jpg

No expert, but I do get a bit OCD on my research. I'll help where I can. There are some great people on this site that I've learned from, my pool knowledge just scratches the surface. I researched Stenner last year for a few weeks and then a few more weeks this year before I made it happen.

Thanks for pulling all this together. I'm getting ready to do a similar setup in the next few weeks and this write-up will help out tremendously. Just one question: any particular reason you went with a 220V Stenner instead of the 110V unit?

John

There really isn't. I don't know any advantages of the 110 vs 220 pump, but it seems a few others had purchased the 220 and all of my equipment (other than the lights) is 220 on the pad, so I just stuck with it. There was no price difference in the two.

Great job and write up.

The only comment I have is that (in my opinion) it is unwise to inject chlorine into a tab chlorinator. While you know not to mix tabs and liquid someone caring for the pool for you or a future owner may not.

Mixing different types of chlorine in a confined space is dangerous, even explosive.

I would recomend you figure out a way to make sure no tags can ever be put in the clorinator.

Great job and write up.

The only comment I have is that (in my opinion) it is unwise to inject chlorine into a tab chlorinator. While you know not to mix tabs and liquid someone caring for the pool for you or a future owner may not.

Mixing different types of chlorine in a confined space is dangerous, even explosive.

I would recomend you figure out a way to make sure no tags can ever be put in the clorinator.

Understood. I can still easily drill and tap the PVC, I've got the tools. If I were to do that my plan was to do so in the longer piece of PVC coming out of the heater and before it goes in to the Nature 2. That is a very easy piece of plumbing to completely replace (unions on each end) if something went wrong. However, doing it that way I would still be pumping the liquid chlorine through the Nature 2. Is that still a problem? The plumbing coming out of the Nature 2 has very little room to tap into and I've got very little PVC there to work with should something go wrong and I had to redo part of the plumbing.

The tabs go in a tube in one half of the Nature 2 - that is easily taken out. It wouldn't prevent someone from taking the lid off and dumping tabs just down into the canister though.

I am planning on doing something similar, use the drain port of an old Nature 2 device (cartridge only) which I haven't used in 15 years. Where did you source the 15 gal barrels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am planning on doing something similar, use the drain port of an old Nature 2 device (cartridge only) which I haven't used in 15 years. Where did you source the 15 gal barrels?

A good find on Craigslist. I had looked last fall when I was going to start the project and didn't find any. Looked again a month ago and found someone selling several sizes. These had a spearmint flavoring or something in them, but had been cleaned quite well when I got them. In a area the size of DFW I figured they'd be everywhere, but surprisingly not. The woman I got these from said they came from Tyler, an hour or two away. Maybe we really don't have any big bakeries here (but I know we do) that would use barrels like these.

I have been using my Stenner for about 3 years now. I keep a detailed notebook of when I increase or decrease the timing of the Stenner depending on the seasons, temp, pollen, and everything else. The other day I was looking back in my notebook and it is amazing how the timing has stayed the same ( within a few minutes ) the last 3 years at the different season changes. Once you get it dialed in and you learn your pools needs it becomes easy breezy! More time for the pool float and cold adult beverage LOL

A good find on Craigslist. I had looked last fall when I was going to start the project and didn't find any. Looked again a month ago and found someone selling several sizes. These had a spearmint flavoring or something in them, but had been cleaned quite well when I got them. In a area the size of DFW I figured they'd be everywhere, but surprisingly not. The woman I got these from said they came from Tyler, an hour or two away. Maybe we really don't have any big bakeries here (but I know we do) that would use barrels like these.

Thanks for the idea of tracking the run times in a notebook. I've got a spreadsheet for my pool, I can track there as I make adjustments to the run time and chlorine added. I'm using the Pool Logger app by RussellC, but to be honest I'm only checking my chlorine now every 2 to 3 days and to keep this as troublefree as possible and not worry about it, I haven't even been logging the chlorine in the app. I know exactly how much it is putting in and I could add it to my app log, but that doesn't give me run times which makes the adjustments even easier in coming years. I'll start my updates in my spreadsheet.

Personally I don't - I've never put more than 6 gallons in at a time which will last 3 to 4 weeks. I still check the chlorine 2 to 3 times a week and so far no problems. I guess there can be some breakdown, but I try to buy fresh chlorine and just don't buy it too far in advance. It's not out there more than 3 weeks or so usually.

I was going to suggest you burry the 5 Gal drum to keep it cool and from breaking down. I would also do it for safety, kids might just want to play with it. Then you can use your other 5 gal drum to make the refills.

Congratulations on your setup.

Felipe

Thanks again to all for the great information provided on this site. I made the decision to install a Stenner pump to handle my chlorine for the pool, all the info I needed was here in different threads. I’ll try to pull it together in one place, or as much as I needed to get installed and rolling

I made the decision to go Stenner and liquid over a SWG due to the initial cost, from there others say the costs may be about equal to SWG’s over time. Everyone’s mileage may vary, but I’ve just read too many threads about the upkeep of the SWG’s and their lifespan, plus many varying stories about damage to stone and deck from salt. In a few years I may change my mind and go salt, but for now – it’s a Stenner and liquid. As a side note our PB didn’t want to do salt (they said they would it if we really wanted but from their experience the upkeep and repair wasn’t worth it). I know, however, that the PB’s don’t always know best and I wouldn’t use my PB to build another one anyway.

I chose a fixed speed pump because I’ve got a good timer setup with the Pentair ET8.. The variable speed pumps also require more maintenance so I wanted to stay away from that. I chose the 45MPHP10 - 10 GPD. It gives me the ability to pump the chlorine I need in about 30 minutes. The best price I could find was at Lockewell.com in Orlando. I bought it online and shipping was quick. It’s mounted outside so I bought the rain hood for it too.

I found a good 15 gallon barrel on Craigslist for $20. The seller had tons of them, so I bought 2 just to have a backup at that price. I spent about 30 bucks for wire, conduit, 220 plug, and a weather box. Total investment about $300 plus my time. I’m somewhat handy and used the good documentation from others here at TFP, so I took on the wiring and adding to the ET8 myself. I used a free relay and redid a couple of other relays so that they would only run if the pool pump was on. If the pump isn’t on, it won’t pump chlorine. I wanted to make it easy to take the pump down if necessary so I wired a 220 receptacle to the relay/ET8 and then plugged the pump in to that. I didn’t cut the plug off to wire it directly into the panel. This gives me the flexibility if I need to take the pump down or replace the pumping tube.

I got the wiring completed and measured where I wanted the tank and where I would inject to the plumbing. I then took an opportunity to test my pumps true output using water. I did a couple of tests and I measured about 1.2 ounces per minute. The pump documentation says it will pump at .89 oz. per minute, so I’m getting a little more than Stenner says I would.

I had studied where I wanted to inject into the pool plumbing. I can get a little OCD with stuff like this and was afraid of doing something that might not work or I’d mess up some plumbing and be without a pump for a day or two. My first preference was to tap the pipe – so I bought the recommended drill bit and tap (23/32” ½ drill bit and ½ inch 14 pipe thread tap.) I ordered those off of Amazon. When I ordered I also bought my backup plan, a 2 inch PVC T with the ½ fpt. The T was my backup if I messed up the tap in the PVC and needed to cut it out, I would put the T in its place. I bought a one foot piece of 2” PVC and tested tapping a couple of holes. Drilling and tapping in my “test pipe” was very easy and as reported the pipe is plenty thick to hold the injector. At the end of the day I had something else I wanted to investigate and it worked. I took the drain plug out of my Nature 2 device (the Nature 2 uses a metals cartridge and holds tri-chlor pucks for chlorination, I don’t use the Nature 2 cartridge any more) – I found it has ¼ inch threads on the drain plug. I took the o-ring off the plug, put it on the ¼ threads of the stenner injector and it was a perfect fit. I really liked this as I didn’t have to drill or touch the plumbing in any other way. I’ve read this is potentially a hazard should anyone ever use the Nature 2 for pucks again as you shouldn’t mix 2 sources of chlorine at the same injection place. I have no plans to put pucks in and if I need to for some reason I’ll turn the stenner pump off. If I ever sell the house I can always drill the pipe and add the chlorine at my original choice just after the Nature 2 so I don’t leave anything dangerous behind.

I added a few gallons of chlorine to my tank, set up two timers injecting half the chlorine about noon and the other half in the evening. I also added an egg timer and a button to my ET control so that if I ever have a party or a storm or need extra chlorine – I hit the button and I get 15 minutes of chlorine at the touch of a button.

I’ve been running about 2 weeks and couldn’t be happier. I test the water each day and so far I’ve been almost perfect on the FC. if the chlorine starts to creep up or down I’ll just adjust my timers by a minute or two to keep the chlorine at the desired level. The ET8 panel makes using this super easy.

IMG_0434_zps4vp5d5nx.jpg

IMG_0433_zps2ppzrewv.jpg

Hi,
Thank you for choosing Stenner Pumps for your application.

That is a very clean setup. If at any time you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us here.

We are attaching the Basic Service Manual.

Attachments

• Stenner Basic Service Manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AJ1776 and GDN
I run my pump on low speed 24/7. I made a device that will automatically switch it to high speed when the heat pump calls for heat and back to low when not. Is there a reason I would want to have a timer on the injector pump? Can the pump be set to inject a smaller amount over a 24 hour period? It also sounds like you've done a ton of research. Any reason for a Stenner pump over some of the others?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.