Starting up the season

Watershow

Jun 10, 2020
Riverside County, CA
Hi all!
I was wondering what you guys all do to prepare your pool for the swim season. I live in so cal so I never closed my pool. As a new inground pool owner I’d really appreciate any advice on getting my pool ready for swimming. Also, how do I maintain my overflow port? Not sure if that’s the correct name for it but basically it’s next to the skimmer where it drains water when the water level is too high. Or it may be the other way around 🤷‍♀️

There is little to be done differently from winter to summer in your area. You maintain your FC based on the FC/CYA Levels. Maintain pH in the 7's. Monitor TA and CH.

I assume you have an overflow drain? That is odd for S Cal. Can you post a picture of it? Can you let us know what is the issue?

I winterize my pool. What I will need to do is undo the winterization (reinstall the pump and disconnected plumbing, remove the winter cover, raise the water level), then run the pump to circulate water and do a full set of tests. Adjust whatever needs adjusting. Possibly vacuum if it needs it.

If the water is green or cloudy, then a SLAM is in order. But first do the full set of tests, as there may be other things need adjusting first.

You may have an overflow and/or autofill. The overflow prevents the water level from getting too high. That's usually just an open pipe that drains excess water away, and doesn't need anything done to it unless it somehow gets clogged.

An autofill works somewhat like the inside of a toilet tank, to turn the water on when the water level drops and turn it off again when it's at the set level. Shouldn't need anything done to it except maybe turn the water supply back on, of it was turned off.

For you, you probably just need to vacuum and take a full set of tests.

I winterize my pool. What I will need to do is undo the winterization (reinstall the pump and disconnected plumbing, remove the winter cover, raise the water level), then run the pump to circulate water and do a full set of tests. Adjust whatever needs adjusting. Possibly vacuum if it needs it.

If the water is green or cloudy, then a SLAM is in order. But first do the full set of tests, as there may be other things need adjusting first.

You may have an overflow and/or autofill. The overflow prevents the water level from getting too high. That's usually just an open pipe that drains excess water away, and doesn't need anything done to it unless it somehow gets clogged.

An autofill works somewhat like the inside of a toilet tank, to turn the water on when the water level drops and turn it off again when it's at the set level. Shouldn't need anything done to it except maybe turn the water supply back on, of it was turned off.

For you, you probably just need to vacuum and take a full set of tests.
You are correct. I have an auto fill line. Thank you. Does the water in it circulate and get filtered or does it just sit there? Curious as we’ve had some rain and wind. I opened up the lid and cleaned it as it was a little dirty. I couldn’t really see the water quality since it was pretty dark in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.