Starting to look better...but.

Niteowl

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2020
Pinellas Park, Florida
I am finally starting to get the chlorine numbers up, it was 4ppm on my last test. CYA is still at 60. However the pH has started dropping, is that due to the rain? Its been raining for 3 nights now, usually a couple hours a night. I have been putting chlorine in every night to get those numbers up.

Nite,

Welcome to TFP!

We use a methodology developed to make pool care simple and inexpensive for pool owners. Thousands use this system reliably for pool care. I've done so for 6 years. It requires a reliable test kit and uses generic chemicals available anywhere at big box stores. There are two different kits we recommend. Only takes a couple of days to learn and implement. We sell nothing so you won't get advice that's more driven to sell you something than help you. We have volunteer experts and pool enthusiasts that can help you with anything related to pool ownership.

Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Before we can give reliable advice we need to be sure your test methods are reliable. How are you testing? Please read Test Kits Compared. Can you also provide a little more background? How have you been maintaining the pool? What do you use to chlorinate etc.?

I have been getting the same weather on the east coast of Florida for several weeks. 24" in past 10 days, flooding everywhere but never seen pH drop from rain. My pH has been very slowly rising just like normal. I suspect it's your testing methods or something else going on so just want to be sure we know a little more before recommending changes that can hurt more than help.

Again welcome aboard and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Chris

Looks like this is the Floridian thread! Welcome!

Where are your test numbers coming from?

Right now they are coming from the cheap kit that I bought at PAP. The first day that I joined and said hi, one of the members pointed me toward the TF-100 kit. I have one in the mail now, just waiting on it. Last week I had sample tested at PAP, they are attached. My chlorine was at 0 and the CYA seemed high, so I turned off the tablet feeder and just started blasting it with shock. I hit it about twice a day, see link below to the shock. My first sample at PAP said the chlorine was at 0, but CYA was at 80. They said to add 1.2 gallons of chlorine. I came home and added 2.5 gallons. 2 days later it was still cloudy, took another sample up. They said my chlorine was still at 0, and my CYA had dropped to 60. So I turned off the tablets and started blasting it with the shock. My cheapo test kit shows the chlorine at 4ppm now and pH looked like it was below 6.8, although the color is hard to match. I am using the liquid chlorine from PAP and the shock that is in the link below.

Attachments

• 6.2.20 test results.jpg
    6.2.20 test results.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 6.4.20 test results.jpg
    6.4.20 test results.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 31
Ok. Let’s get those tabs out, and use Pool Math app to figure out how much liquid chlorine to add daily, based on 60 CYA. Then hold off on adding anything else until you can get good test results with your TF100.

In fact, to be on the safe side in case that CYA number isn’t accurate, you might want to base your Pool Math calculation on a CYA of 50.

Nite,

Welcome to TFP!

I'd suggest you hold off any chemical additions 'till you get your TF100. Pool store test results are notoriously unreliable. So making changes based on these can make things worse. We usually recommend you stay with 5 ppm FC addition using liquid chlorine only until you get a set of test results you can trust.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Great, just to be clear do add liquid chlorine each day until then. This is really sort of a guess but will usually keep you from getting algae before you get your first good test results.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was just going to stop all chemicals until I got a good reading. I just finished vacuuming and it kicked up a bit of debris off the bottom. It is cloudy/dirty again, going to wait for the filter to do its thing and add some more chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Base demand is the number of drops the test showed to determine how much base (Borax or Baking Soda) to bring pH up to target amount. You can ignore it and use Pool Math instead.

Personally, I would recommend you Just keep adding 3-5PPM of liquid chlorine daily until your test kit gets here. Pool store testing is not very reliable.

Nite,

What does your pool look like. You have to do what you think is right for you. My advice is don't get any of their "free tests". Their "base demand" is a reason they can give you that sounds a little ominous to buy way over-priced pH-Up to raise your pH. If you ever need it we would recommend generic equivalents available at big box stores for way lower price. Ingredients are identical. PH will go up naturally from just running your pump and moving water in contact with air. I would not buy any products other than sufficient liquid chlorine to add 5 ppm per day until you get your kit. You'll probably find it at better price from big box stores unless you're buying in bulk yellow jugs at the pool store. Free pool store tests are just too unreliable to take any action on. Once your kit arrives you'll get solid recommendations to balance your water and keep it that way from now on easily and cheaply.

I hope this is helpful and hang in there! You'll be on your way to TFP pool bliss very soon.

Chris

Just to give you a number to verify you're using Pool Math correctly - .5 gal will raise you 5.2 ppm if you are using 12%

I don't know if I am using the right calculator in PoolMath, I used "Effects of Adding". Do I choose bleach to represent the liquid chlorine? If so, I am reading this right, that adding 2.5 gallon jug of liquid chlorine should bring it up to 21ppm?

Attachments

• thumbnail_Screenshot_20200608-164856.jpg
    thumbnail_Screenshot_20200608-164856.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: splashpad
I wouldn't buy much until you get your test results. If your CYA is high you'll need to drain some water to get it corrected. Won't hurt to have a couple gallons of liquid chlorine on hand. You will probably need some MA. BB stores sell it $12 for 2 gal. But it is readily available so I'd just wait to see where you land. with your tests. Are you purchasing liquid chlorine in bulk?

I don't know if I am using the right calculator in PoolMath, I used "Effects of Adding". Do I choose bleach to represent the liquid chlorine? If so, I am reading this right, that adding 2.5 gallon jug of liquid chlorine should bring it up to 21ppm?
Yes, I'd ad .5 gal. You don't want to get your FC over 10. Over 10 interferes with the pH test. If your results indicate a SLAM is needed first thing you need to do is get your CYA down and your pH in range. This sort of illustrates why we don't add chems until we have reliable test results. It's easy to make things worse. What does your pool look like?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.