Starting to doubt my game plan and becoming nervous I'll screw up

Crepes

May 31, 2018
Wheeling, WV
First time homeowner here, purchasing an old home with an inground pool. I've posted a couple of time for advice already, but I haven't gotten all my equipment in yet and don't want to waste precious days doing the wrong thing. A short summary is that my in ground pool was not winterized and is now a bright green swamp with only a couple inches of visibility and tons of debris. The sand filter froze and is destroyed - leaks from all ports.

We have purchased a new S244T sand filter. I do not know how to install it but I think that is the first step, and definitely the part I am most nervous for. I believe the old pipes have unions, but I can't get them to move. How rough can I be with those when trying to disconnect?

The old filter is still full of sand. I have not looked at it because I have not been able to get the valve off yet. What should this sand look like? How will I know if it is reusable? Should I backwash this before attempting to take it out if I plan on using it in the new filter?

We do not have a vacuum. I imagine I want to buy a vacuum and do that before messing with chemicals. The pump functions even though the filter does not. Can I attempt to vacuum with the old leaking filter? Also need a rake or other device to scoop out debris from top and bottom of pool. Are there any recommendations for either of these piece of gear?

I have ordered a TF-100 bundle, which includes the Speedstir and Wall Whale. I have not received it yet. At what point should I brush the walls?

The cover is currently off the pool and it is exposed to the sun. Should it be covered while I am not doing anything with the pool? I imagine this might fuel algae growth.

I'm sorry for the wall of questions, I'm just very nervous that I'm going to break something else. Money is tight from all the repairs we've done so far and I really want to avoid unnecessary expenditures. Thank you!

I got ya! I will try to comment on everything. If I miss something just let me know.

-sand-yes you can reuse it.... once you get the filter open (will cover that next)... use a shop vac (wet part) to such it all out. It will take a couple/few times. I put my vac in my wheel barrow so I don't have to lean over too much. Vac until it is full then dump into barrow. IF there is more sand then your barrow can hold you can put it on a tarp to keep it clean. If you do not have a shop vac you can do it by hand.

-old filter-I say cut off the old unions to get the top up and off. If they are that hard to get open then it might be time to get new ones. How have you been trying to open them? I use a strap wrench to get mine open. It takes more than my girl hands can do.

-old sand-it should look like sand-like the play sand you see for a kid's sandbox BUT it is not the same. It should flow through your fingers. Some sand can get clumpy from stuff being in it. IF that is the case you will want to replace the sand.

-cleaning old sand-you can clean it in the wheel barrow or you can clean it in the filter by shoving a hose down in to the sand and mixing it all up and letting the junk flow up and out.

-vacuum-for this I think you should just get a manual vacuum. Here is the head I like: 11.5 Swimming Pool Standard Weighted Liner Butterfly Vacuum Head with Bumper - Walmart.com

-net- get a deep net like this: Deep Leaf Swimming Pool Rake Skimmer Net - Walmart.com

Of course you will need a pole for both of these. One pole should do it.

Can you share a pic of what the pool looks like now?

When it comes time to hook up your filter we can and will help you!!!

Does this help?

Kim:kim:

A picture of your equipment pad would be great as well so we can see how your plumbing is hooked up. Regarding your old filter, how bad does it leak when the pump is running? If it only leaks a little bit, you can keep the pump running.

Also, while you're waiting for your new test kit to arrive, pour in 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine daily to start working on all that algae. If you want to install your new sand filter, go ahead, and once your kit arrives, run a full set of tests and we'll let you know what to do. You will definitely be performing a SLAM. It's when you bring your FC (free chlorine) to shock level (based on you CYA) and keep it there by testing and redosing with liquid chlorine as often as possible. That shock level of FC will begin to kill all the algae in your pool and turn the water back to what it should be.

Thank you both for the advice. I'll be trying to hook up the filter today.

Here is the equipment pad (3 pictures) - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In the meantime, I used my test kit. There were no instructions included for the FAS/DPD test kit, so I just did the chlorine/PH test in the small blue box of the TF-100. I will look for FAS/DPD instructions and get those results asap

CL < 5 (water was basically clear)
PH < 6.8 (water turned yellow)
TA = 0 (Added two drops R-0007 in a running Speedstir. Added five drops R-0008. Water turned red immediately, never green)
CYA 70-80, assuming I'm doing this one right.

For the FAS-DPD test, you basically reach elbow deep into your pool water for your sample. Use 10 mL of water. Put one heaping scoop of the powder in the vial and swirl really well. Sample will turn pink. If it doesn't turn pink, you have NO FC in your pool. Once the sample turns pink, take your R-0871 drops and start adding drops and swirling. Count the drops and when the sample turns completely clear (not a hint of the pink at all), divide the number of drops by 2 to get your FC reading. i.e., sample turns completely clear after 13 drops means your FC is 6.5.

I just realized you have the speed stirrer. Great, you'll enjoy it. Makes testing much easier and fun. For the TA test, you did add the two drops of the first reagent before adding the 5 drops right? If so, and it turned red right away, you are right on at 0, which is not good. You need to get some baking soda in there right away to bring up TA to at least 60. Once it's there, retest pH and TA again. If pH is still under 6.8, I would add either soda ash, washing soda, or Borax. It will take a lot more Borax than the other two to raise pH, so I would choose either soda ash or washing soda from Walmart.

You're equipment pad looks pretty simple and well laid out. Changing out the sand filter shouldn't be too difficult. I would cut out the fitting coming and going to the sand filter and put on new unions. It's always nice to have unions if you have to do any repairs in the future so you don't have to cut into the pipes.

Hi there, I am Crepe's wife and trying to figure out this pool thing with him.

Should I vacuum the pool before I change the sand filter?

We have the new filter but we have not installed it yet.

HELLO AND WELCOME :eek: I would say VACUUM away before switching to the new filter !!! That thought is ONLY because of the "dreaded" "Murphy's Law" factor (LOL)

P.S. If you're changing unions, a shut-off valve or two might not hurt.

EDIT: Didn't realize how bad your filter was leaking ... nix my vacuuming recommendation !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.