Starting over. What setup do you recommend?

Jul 26, 2017
Queen Creek AZ
Hi everyone. We bought a house with a 20 year old pool. Everything is original. We enjoyed the pool for a month and a half then overnight after some storms the water turned green. I turned to TFP for help, ordered the test kit and found out our CYA levels are over 100. As we will have to drain and refill anyway, I would like to sort everything out and start with a clean slate. Can you please advise on what system / setup you recommend?

Our pool is 18 x 32 ft. It is half above and half below ground. There are 2 returns, 1 skimmer basket in the wall, and 1 drain in the floor. There is a 1hp Jacuzzi brand pump. 1 chlorinator. 1 filter with 3 x 110sf cartridges.

I will have to replace the vinyl liner. The corner pieces holding the liner down have cracks, as do the pool stairs.

Please advise if you were to start over, what would you install? Thank you.

I think you need to be a little more specific on what you are considering to update.

I would certainly stop using the chlorinator as that is how your CYA got too high.

The filter is a little small for your pool size ... up around 425 sqft would be better. Although you filter will work fine too, the smaller filter just means more frequent cleanings.
The pump size is fine ... going to a 2 speed or VS would allow you to save some money on electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.