Starting a renovation on older inground, Chicago

Kim,
The TF_100 was the first thing I bought before we even hired a pool company, that and 12 gallons of Clorox, lol.
Thanks for the links, I had most booked marked, and have been reading them since day 1.

FYI, Menards has the best (highest concentrate) pool chlorine (labeled "Pool Shock") and they have a 2for1 sale in April-May.

LOVE IT!!! Planning ahead! So how full is the pool today?

Kim:kim:

It looks to be about 1/2 full, so right on target as we assumed it would take 2-2 1/2 days to fill.
Turned the hose off this am, as there are a few spots of plaster that PB did not do/or missed on the walls.
Going to get some plaster and do myself Saturday, and then restart the filling.
Not to worried about algae, as chlorine was dumped into pool when the fill started, and 1 day of sitting should not hurt.

You can and should add some more and stir it up with a straw broom or boat paddle. If you have subm. pump you can use that to move the water around as well.

Do you have the CYA (stabilizer) bought yet? Go ahead and get some of that and start putting it in. When you do go to add it do it this way:

-pour into a sock (yeah like you wear) You get extra points for cute socks LOL

-hang it right in front of a return or in your case the hose. You do not want it touching the sides or bottom.

-you can squeeze it to help it dissolve.

Putting in some CYA now will help your FC stick around a little longer. With out it the sun will eat all of your FC for the day.

Kim:kim:

If an acid wash (with a pressure washer) would make an issue with the plaster, chances are it would be unusable any way. It is always diluted, after all a human is pressure washing it. No way of not getting splashed from it:rolleyes:

OOPs sorry went to wrong post.

Last edited:
Little update...we had alot of rain here,and I almost had to drain some of the pool.
PB came over Saturday (while I was not home) and started everything up.
DE filter checked out ok, pump is not leaking, heater works, booster pump works as does the Polaris 280, so we are pretty much up and running.

They added 4 liquid shock, and 5 lbs Cela Perl.

I still do not know how to run anything, and cannot get my skimmers to work.
I have a main drain line and a skimmer line, have tried both open and just skimmer liner open.
Also checked to make sure no plugs in the skimmers.

PB said they were working, so don't know the problem.
Was a little disappointing they stopped Saturday with no call, but with all the rain I know they are backed up and just were fitting me in.

frustratedpoolmom is trying her best to fit me in this week to go over the testing, and how everything works. With her dad passing and the rain, she is backed up also.
Going to test my self, and just run main drain for now.
I did get a solar cover, so will cover it.

As far as upgrading,first on the list will be a vs pump or heater , as those two cost the most to run.
I have alot of cosmetic repairs to do just to get it looking somewhat nice, will be busy the rest of the summer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely get the CYA going, the chlorine probably gone by now.
Curious on the decision to go with the DE alternative?

Looking forward to meeting you in person :) and if it doesn't rain another day this summer I'd be thrilled. I don't care if my lawn would die. I just can't take any more rain!

Definitely get the CYA going, the chlorine probably gone by now.
Curious on the decision to go with the DE alternative?

Looking forward to meeting you in person :) and if it doesn't rain another day this summer I'd be thrilled. I don't care if my lawn would die. I just can't take any more rain!

Thats what the PB added to replenish the DE in the filter, no clue what it is.

So tonight I hand skimmed the pool the best I could, and turned on the pumps.
I noticed a basket in the pump had debris in it, so shut it down to clean basket strainer, and to re-prime pump to get it running again.
Ran the Polaris, found out I have a leak in the side line, right in the grass were it meets the concrete deck, so will be digging a hole a to find leak and repair.
PB had already told me that was the one line they could not pressure check.

To me I had more water than yesterday coming out the side suction line for the Polaris than yesterday.
This is without the booster pump running.
Its not the booster line leaking, but must be tied in somewhere, as its the same discharge.

Will wait for frustratedpool mom to tell me what/why.
I still have not tested, or adjusted CYA.
The PB put in 4 liquid shock Saturday, and sunday I put in 6 gals Clorox, pool shows no sign of algae, and water is crystal clear.

Will update and show more pics after I meet with frustratedpoolmom.

I also put on the solar cover today so hope that's helps in chem. lose and water evaporating

I have been swamped at work so no new pictures, but pool looks the same as when it was filled.
frustratedpoolmom came by Tuesday night and we went over everything and she went thru the testing with me.

TA...100
FC..0
CYA..0
PH 8.2 +
CH...250

Wed. I added 17 lbs of cya ( 1 lb more than app showed) and 4 gallons of chlorine (12.5%)
Made 5 sock bags, one by each return and each skimmer
Pump running 24/7, just checked the pool and everything looks ok.
Will test the water again tonight.
frustratedpoolmom suggested adding another 3/4 gallon of chlorine so that was done also.

When checking the pool, frustratedpoolmom said I had good return pressure and skimmer pressure, I am guessing I had problems before due to side leak, and air getting into system.
Bought a hand vacuum to use until I can get side leak repaired.

Looking in the pump room, noticed two small wet spots on the pad.
Seems I have a leak were the pump motor bolts into the filter basket, and at heater there is a plug of some sort that has a pin hole leak.
Will be fixing those this weekend, both are very small so not to worried about.

Can't say enough about frustratedpoolmom taking time out of her schedule to help me out

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.