Starting a new pool build in austin (like everyone else..)

Here are pics of the coping, they are cutting the edge of the stone. In looking at the pics, it looks like our stone is more yellow so doesnt match the pool. I personally dont care, hope the wife doesnt notice.
20210105_152600.jpg

20210105_152621.jpg

This is most of the coping in place
20210106_112857.jpg

They are setting up the forms for the decking. It doesnt seem like the deck is being tied into the pool shell with rebar. The pool builder didnt want to build much deck so we are doing wood deck under the existing deck where I am taking the pics. This will give us a covered deck area of about 800 sq ft.
20210106_112903.jpg

Reactions: NWS and Newdude
I saw a rec to buy my pool robot from mariana pools, so I bought a warrior SE from her. Turns out I also bought one for an employee as part of our company white elephant gift exchange.

Also Stenner apparently makes pumps with integrated timers. On my last pool I just had it plugged into a standard outdoor time. It worked great but looked janky. So I just got in a 8gpd econT pump

Stenner Econ T Automatic Dosing Peristaltic Metering Pump E10T2B 120V NSF 50

My last chlorine tank was 15 gallons which wasnt quite enough for a whole month so Im bumping up to 20 gallons. The smaller pool size and bigger tank should allow me to easily go for a whole month between refills. Also considering a 55 gallon drum

Last edited:
Yesterday and today they brought in dirt to level the pool deck. I already regret not doing more concrete deck but a change now is a big hassle with permitting. The existing deck is around 20 ft above the ground and I had imagined a new wood deck built perfectly underneath the existing deck. The concrete deck would be outside of the covered area. For some reason I thought the concrete would butt up against the vertical plane of the deck to make a transition from wood to concrete. Unfortunately it is only adjacent to the stairs. The existing "door" to under the deck is in the bottom left corner of the yellow triangle so the wood deck would have to cover that triangle. It wouldnt be the end of the world.

I just emailed my pool builder and hopefully it isnt too much $$ to adjust. I should have asked for this yesterday before they filled in the form for the deck.

1610229614960.png

I LOVE the way your pool is up in the trees. Complete privacy.
I don't notice any 'yellow' with the coping --
It seems forever since I visited your build thread. It's looking great! I bet you're pleased with the progress!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had rain for a week and a half and so they stopped but they started up again. They poured the deck, let it dry, then a few days later started to install the pavers. They are huge so it is definitely taking awhile. The tile is also in and equipment got delivered. It seems like they just need to finish the pavers, install the quartz, and connect the equipment. I think it might be done by the end of feb.

My builder was very fast. They broke ground the week of thanksgiving so have gotten this far in two months with 2 weeks of rain and a week of christmas/thanksgiving.

2021-02-04 09.59.29.jpg

2021-02-04 09.59.17.jpg

2021-02-04 09.59.11.jpg
2021-02-04 10.00.00.jpg

Those ARE some big pavers!! I love them! Make sure they fill in that hole before they put the paver down. Sure don't want it to cause any problems down the road.

Kim:kim:

Thanks, Ill watch for that. The hole contains the bonding for the copper wire to ground. I think an inspector had to come out to make sure the bonding is correct before they cover it up. So we have been on hold for 4 days waiting for the inspection.

So Feb 14 we had a huge snow/ice storm. Lost power for 3-4 days etc. The snow stuck around for a week and we had below freezing temps that entire time. The following week the workers were immediately back and they finished the pavers. We had another inspection and they finished installing the pool equipment.

At this point they wanted to plaster next week, except it is spring break and it is the one week of the entire last year that we are going to travel so we asked to push it a week. For this build we started the week of thanksgiving. We have had about 4 weeks of heavily rainy/freezing weather and a week of holidays (thanksgiving/christmas). Overall our pool builder has been extremely efficient with almost no gaps between work except to wait for inspections. The pool took about 3.5 months minus the 5 weeks of bad weather, so about 2.5 months. To compare my last pool took about 6 months..

This was the pool equipment installed on Feb 10th. I asked them to install it under the deck which means it will get a lot less sun and weather than our last equipment. I have the stenner pump so need to install that. The valve for it will screw into the port right under the puck feeder.

In this picture the control system and gas to the heater are not installed yet. They just installed those last week. I heard that one of my neighbors also building a pool had pressure in their pipes from pressure testing during the freeze and it destroyed all of them.

2021-02-10 13.45.06.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: colleenbevans
I love the way you can stand up a level and look down on the pool. Glad you survived the week of TX freezing weather, rolling blackouts which weren't so rolling. That was a difficult week for us, too. We never lost power but our tankless water heater froze up. Two days later a plumber came and we now know it was installed without insulation in an outside garage wall. Thankfully our equipment pad only had the filter pump hooked up. Many lost their pool heaters over here, including our pool designer. Even the experts were hit!

I can't wait to see how everything's coming along.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.