Started the SLAM on Sunday

SDenman

Jun 7, 2019
Monroe, GA
I started the SLAM on Sunday and it’s been going great. The water is now clear and I’m keeping it brushed. When I test the water at 0500 it’s at 10.5. I check it about every 2-3 hours. It varies all day with the sun out as expected. When adding liquid chlorine should I get it to 12 as per pool math (SLAM) or can I get it over that to try and maintain a higher level through out the day. It just seems to be a battle between almost there and not quite. How long does it take to generally complete the SLAM to were it will hold at 12 in the morning. I know every pool is different. I have a 18x36 vinyl with a sand filter.
Thanks Seth

Welcome to the forum!
Do not overshoot your SLAM FC level. Higher FC will just be burned off by the sun quicker and also may damage your liner.
As long as the FC is above the minimum FC level it is defeating algae. The more often you take the FC back to the SLAM level the quicker, in theory, the SLAM will be.
Most SLAM's take several days to a couple weeks to complete. You should be able to test and add chlorine in the morning and evening only for the bulk of the SLAM.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
Do not overshoot your SLAM FC level. Higher FC will just be burned off by the sun quicker and also may damage your liner.
As long as the FC is above the minimum FC level it is defeating algae. The more often you take the FC back to the SLAM level the quicker, in theory, the SLAM will be.
Most SLAM's take several days to a couple weeks to complete. You should be able to test and add chlorine in the morning and evening only for the bulk of the SLAM.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Great thank you.

Here's my standard reminder to remove any ladders or lights, check behind weir doors or anywhere algae could be hiding.
Yes sir I took that advice and was surprised to see what was behind of the light and ladder. I am happy to say that I have finally keep a SLAM level of 12 overnight. My next question is I have the frog system that I know everyone hates. But it has an inline chlorinator that I thought was a plus. But I’m to cheap to buy the chlorine packs. What is the recommendation on keeping a constant chlorine level. Or what is the recommendation on the proper way to keep chlorine being added. Thanks Seth

Test once a day and add chlorine once a day - takes like 5-10 minutes, not that bad. Then as time goes on you get a feel for how much bleach your pool takes daily and you can cut back testing to every other day, then down to 2-3 times a week, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.