Start up what you guys think ?

CaptainDs

Apr 29, 2024
Alabama
Sorry for the quality of the photos . I’m eager to get started on the pool however we haven’t opened it yet . Our pump and filter just came in and will be installing Saturday. This is a photo of me just lifting the cover just to see how it looks . I currently don’t have a Taylor kit and might be sometime before I can get one . Long story but has to do with the wife . 😂 anyway I am taking samples to be tested lab numbers tomorrow morning . From the looks of it water is crystal clear and looks like some algae. It’s not necessarily a green tint might be little yellowish to . My question when I start vacuuming this can I just run it through filter then backwash instead of wasting . How do you guys think it looks ? This is my first year of really trying right on start up and I want to start it off right . I guess I’m saying how would you guys approach this ? Clarity seems really good . I will post the numbers I get tomorrow.IMG_3357.jpegIMG_3359.jpegIMG_3358.jpegIMG_3357.jpegIMG_3359.jpegIMG_3358.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of filter - sand or DE? Filter through either if fine - just remember it will clog up so backwash is critical.
Testing is critical so post those results.
Prepare to SLAM Process by purchasing liquid chlorine.

@Newdude may have some other thoughts

My question when I start vacuuming this can I just run it through filter then backwash instead of wasting
Half a dozen or 6, entirely up to you.
How do you guys think it looks ?
Clear water is always a win. You could have the same crud on the floor, and a black swamp. (y)

I will post the numbers I get tomorrow.
It really won't matter without your own kit. The pool store won't test you everyday when you don't buy the 6 things they recommend each time.

You can't SLAM without it either, needing multiple tests a day.

The test kit is a one time investment to get all the parts / vials / etc. The refills have a spring sale for $44 each year after.

Reactions: CaptainDs
It’s a sand filter . Unfortunately my father in law has convinced my wife that strips are good 😂. So for right now it is what it is 😂. I never used liquid chlorine only tablets so that should be at least at start to killing it . I will eventually get the kits but not right now. He gave her the story I have had a pool for 10+ years and it’s just been fine . I have did the kits and strips blah blah 😑 So temporarily I have Hachs strips . ( I know guys trust me ) 😂

I think it will be 87 ounces daily. Some one will be along shortly to confirm, Im not 100 % sure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The tfpro from TFTESTKITS.NET in South Carolina. Nate ships daily. It has a $44 stirrer that the K2006C doesn't, better supply amounts and a nicer case, for the same price.

Or Amazon the K2006C.

Not that it matters right now but test came back (as stated above don’t have Taylor tests as of right now .)
FC :0
CC: 2.5
Alkalinity 84
PH : 7.7
Calcium : 103
CYA 34 ( this will probably drop we got to put about 10 more inches of water in . )

Did Aqua check strip just to see how close for the heck of it PH it was way off . Most everything else was close . It don’t have hardness as option on strip . I haven’t currently did anything to the pool as of right yet this was just testing before we open Saturday. I was just curious . Once the water starts circulating will them chemicals change a lot ?

Last edited:
As stated earlier - add at least 1 gal of Liquid Chlorine to raise FC.
You will have to do the SLAM Process and that requires testing multiple times a day to raise and maintain FC to kill the algae. The filter circulation will remove the dead algae. You will need to backwash the sand filter as pressure increases.
Note on SLAM - it is imporatant to lower pH before you start so need to add MA to lower pH to 7.2

The first picture is very old. 234th day of 2023.

The other box that code is not the Julian date.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support