Jenkintown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We’re about to put in a new concrete deck and my wife wants to put in a rail for the pool stairs. I don’t particularly want to put holes and fittings in the concrete but see her logic of really needing it in 20 years when our knees don’t work anymore.

Questions...
1) is this definitely the time to put the rail in, or are there products out there which don’t require a permanent install into the concrete deck?
2) are there quality differences to look for in terms of how long the metal holds up without rusting or other deterioration? Or is it all pretty standard and we just look online for a design and size we like?
3) before you tell me...yes I know to make sure it gets bonded.
4) Anything else I should know?

If you are planning long term house/pool I would do a hand rail system

At the very least drill and bond the structure needed and use a removable hand rail system if you care about aesthetics

It is much easier now then going back and adding it in (my take from reading tons of similar posts)

There is the crazy person alternative as well

I put in a boulder hand rail for our pool (still in progress)

I am a big fan of jimrahbe's powder coat grey. It is a pleasant alternative to stainless. I think they might come in beige, too.

Anyway, set your post anchors now. You'll never regret having that rail..........you'll use it from day one.

I have rails similar to Jim's, but with a smaller "nose" which I think is slightly less ugly. Link here. One for the pool and a smaller one for the spa.

They come in multiple colors. I have the powder coat "taupe", which looks nice but has started to "weather" and lose its original gloss after about 5 years. If I had known this in advance, I might have been smart enough to remove the rails from the escutcheons and store the rails indoors during the winter. Too late now. If anyone knows how to restore a powder coat to its original gloss, I'd love to learn.

I never understood why the 2 previous homeowners lived without rails. (The pool has an auto-cover, and maybe return-to-deck rails weren't invented when it was built?) Everyone who uses our pool uses the rails all the time. The spa was especially hazardous before we installed its rail.

Is there some sort of plug available for when the rail isn’t in (winter storage)? Looking at whats on a couple websites I see the rails, anchors, and escutcheons. No plugs. Is it ok to just leave the anchors open over the winter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there some sort of plug available for when the rail isn’t in (winter storage)? Looking at whats on a couple websites I see the rails, anchors, and escutcheons. No plugs. Is it ok to just leave the anchors open over the winter?
We have these from Amazon (in black).

been studying myself on handrails. from the reviews I've read the powder coated ones don't seem to hold up as well as the Marine Grade Stainless Steel ones. Saftron seemed to have less favorable reviews than the SR Smith ones. this is the one we are considering but it's about $200 more than a standard one.

View attachment 110752
That is the one we purchased with our pool. Removable and stored in the garage now. Don't remember the price but remember it was one of the more "pricey" ones.

One of the points I was trying to make is that if you wait and do it after your pool is built you may or may not be limited in what will work.

In my case, it was important that I did not have to bond it.. If I had to do it all over, I would have had a stainless steel one installed during the pool build.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Might still be a bit short for folks who need to hold on while taking that first step in, yet don't want to or can't bend down to place a hand on the rock.

Maddie :flower:

The boulder top is 28" v what looks like 30-32" for a hand rails

Worked for the family members I had test it (guess we are shorties)

But yes...definitely have to find the perfect boulder to do it. And that can be a major PITA

Just a quick random thought..... it always makes sense and for a cleaner look to do these things at the original build. But that being said you posted that you are concerned about 20 years from now. At that time, you would care alot less about how ugly the railing is and you wouldnt have to look at it now. I went without. There are times i wished i got one, like when my 85 year old mother wants to swim with us while visiting and cant. There are also many times im glad we have none.

Found a $50 rebate on this handrail.

Get Rebate Offers from S.R.Smith

been studying myself on handrails. from the reviews I've read the powder coated ones don't seem to hold up as well as the Marine Grade Stainless Steel ones. Saftron seemed to have less favorable reviews than the SR Smith ones. this is the one we are considering but it's about $200 more than a standard one.

View attachment 110752

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.