Apr 28, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I have an in ground concrete pool that is approximately 22 years old. I have some small little, round stains throughout the pool that will not come out. I’ve tried scrubbing them with a chlorine tablet with no luck. They are about the size of a pea. Secondly, I have some stains, on a larger scale, also throughout the pool floor. These stains look like dirt stain, however, will not come clean. I’ve tried scrubbing when I shock the pool with no luck. These stains are scattered throughout the pool but they are not covering the floor totally. The first 2 pictures I attached are depicting the larger, dirt looking stains. The last picture, next to the umbrella hole, is of the small, pea size stain. I recently bought a bottle of Suncoast stop stain which didn’t do anything at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 13
Are you sure they are stains (the large ones) and not gunite showing through worn out plaster? The small dots, test putting a vitamin C tablet on them. They may be wire ties from the rebar. The worn/aged plaster is allowing water to reach them.

Are you sure they are stains (the large ones) and not gunite showing through worn out plaster? The small dots, test putting a vitamin C tablet on them. They may be wire ties from the rebar. The worn/aged plaster is allowing water to reach them.
Not sure, that’s why I’m looking for some advice. About 1 year ago, I went to my local pool store and told them I had some stains in the pool that I needed to remove. They sold me a kit that had 3 different chemicals to remove stains. I tried the first one, which I believe was called stop stain or stain remover or something like that. Needless to say, it didn’t remove the stains. I believe I then I tried the second chemical which I believe was called iron & colbolt stain remover. That one seemed to lift the stains, however, I needed to buy another bottle bc the one bottle wasn’t enough for all the stains. Before I buy this colbolt stuff, I wanted to get some feedback on the stains, or even if they’re not stains. If I remember correctly, that small bottle of the colbolt stuff was expensive.

OK -- so what they sold you was similar to Jacks Magic Stain ID kit. Stain ID Kit | Jacks Magic

Iron and Cobalt is one of the stain ID kits. So that worked? Odd if Iron, usually does not show up that way (the big stains). Cobalt is really rare, except on fiberglass pools.

Try a sock full of vitamin C crushed up on the bigger stain.

OK -- so what they sold you was similar to Jacks Magic Stain ID kit. Stain ID Kit | Jacks Magic

Iron and Cobalt is one of the stain ID kits. So that worked? Odd if Iron, usually does not show up that way (the big stains). Cobalt is really rare, except on fiberglass pools.

Try a sock full of vitamin C crushed up on the bigger stain.
Thanks for your advice so far. Can you explain what the crushed up vit c In a sock will do? Am I supposed to scrub on the stains?

It is ascorbic acid. AA will remove iron stains immediately. Just set the sock on the stain for a few minutes. If the stain disappears, it is iron.

Do you have iron in your fill water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.