Stains and Plaster Bumps

Calcium build-up is removed in various ways (brushing, sanding, sand-blasting, etc). It's always best to go easy and work your way up to the more aggressive method. Take your time as to not damage the pool's original surface. Also watch your water chemistry to ensure the "CSI" is slightly negative (see the PoolMath tool or APP) for more. A CSI of about -0.1 to -0.3 could be beneficial over time to prevent calcium from trying to attach to the pool's surface. Permanent changes to the original plaster from calcium depends on how bad it was. Also know that in some cases, minerals can get trapped in calcium resulting if additional patterns or discoloration. And sometimes, a pool can experience discoloration from more than one thing at a time (i.e. iron and calcium, or algae and copper), so treat each stain or pattern independently until you know for sure what it is so that you know how best to treat it.

I changed the scraping tool(narrow and more strong), and I found that I can remove most of them with it.

Questions!
As you can see, I damaged little bit of plaster when I remove the buildup.
Is the amount of plaster that I damaged okay, or I should not damage any plaster?
Even though the new tool works, my pool has so many of them, so I want to try orbital sander with 80 wet/dry sandpaper.
Please let me know if there is better way or better sandpaper which is specialized for sanding pool plaster.

By the way, can solely acid wash remove that kind of buildup?
If acid wash can remove those buildup, then I think it is better to hire pool guy to acid wash.
Please let me know.
Thank you.

Last edited:
This clip was very helpful. Looks like calcium nodules to me. @onBalance and @JamesW do you agree? Any recommendations from this point forward?

Reactions: NewB77777
I tried to sand with orbital sander with bundled 80 grit sand paper.
Not sure if the sand paper that I used is wet/dry or If I have to use wet/dry sand paper for the purpose.

Questions!
After I sanded, I saw marble looking things. [Please see IMG_6560, 6561]
I worry if I removed too much plaster. Is it okay?

With 80 grit, It took long time to remove. So I'm thinking to use 40 or 60.
Is it ok to use those?

After sanding, to remove powder, I washed with water.
And when surface of plaster was wet, my sander paper get sticky(?) with the powder,
So it didn't sand anymore.
if I use wet/dry sandpaper, will it be okay?
Can I get wet/dry sandpaper on HomeDepot?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6563.jpg
    IMG_6563.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6562.jpg
    IMG_6562.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6561.jpg
    IMG_6561.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi I attached one more picture which I highlighted the area that I sanded. As you can see in the red circle, it looks like concrete or something looks marble.
plz let me know what it is, and if it is okay to sand like this.
thanks

Attachments

• 87865CD6-F1C4-4A71-AF4A-C15D49DE64F3.jpeg
    87865CD6-F1C4-4A71-AF4A-C15D49DE64F3.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 30
Looks like perhaps you sanded past the smooth/outer plaster surface and into the gunite base material a bit. I see the other experts I tagged earlier haven't replied yet. Maybe @bdavis466 or @jimmythegreek can chime in?

To remove the calcium buildup, it is inevitable to remove little bit of paster, and it will expose the inside part. So if it will give bad effect to my pool, then I will just stop cleaning calcium, and will use the pool as is, and I can replaster after 1-2 years after saving money :)
I will wait any advise. Thanks

Last edited:
Depends on how thick the plaster is. Samd paper changes the feel because plaster is like orange peel so you take away the high spots. A sponge sander would be better so it evenly takes a little bit off. Heavy sandpaper 80+ can take too much off I wouldnt do it personally. The problem is any place you sand is going to change the color and feel of it and make it stand out. You either acid dose the pool to freshen it up or just spot treat areas and live with it for now. Usually you can treat stains pretty decent and calcium buildup can be cleaned but it's a real pain

It eats everything up but on old plaster you can do damage. Makes plaster rougher too but it's a tradeoff. Need some know how with it. Some drain and acid wash amd some dose the water then neutralize it all depends on what's going on. Hard to say over the web would have to see it myself

Reactions: mikes112

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just heard from the pool guy that pool can start to get damage after 24 hours of drainage. is it true?
Generally, we avoid leaving a pool empty for very long. The exposed plaster can become effected by heat, direct sunlight. At least it's not summer right now, but I would advise getting the water back in there as soon as you can.

Thank you onBalance for coming to my house to check my pool!!
Now I know what I need to do!
Shhhhhhhh! Don't say that out-loud. Someone may hear. :) It doesn't get much better than personalized instructions from the plaster guru himself. Best of luck on your work and getting that pool full again. Don't forget to post a pic or two once it's full and ready for summer.

Reactions: NewB77777
It was a nice coincidence that I happened to be traveling through Los Angeles at this time. I was able to stop by to see this pool for a few minutes with NewB. Here are a couple of my observations and thoughts on this pool's discoloration spotting.

First, this type of discolored spotting problem is very unusual, at least in my experience. The plaster appears to be at least 10 years old, but in overall good condition in the non-spotted areas. As far as I could tell, and even though the slightly raised calcium spots looked somewhat similar to "Calcium Nodules" (which are due to delamination or cracking), I am certain that Calcium Nodules isn't the problem.

I think the pool may have some bad black algae growth some years ago (as evidenced by the discolored, disfigured, and spotted areas, but I am not certain of that assessment. If it is true, then it also appears that the black algae was also effectively killed some years ago, but left the plaster discolored and disfigured. In the past, I have seen some pools that had a very bad and long term black algae problem (with roots that had grown into the plaster surface, and which left the plaster somewhat disfigured under the growing black algae spots. In a couple of those pools, I remember having to power-sand for a very long time to remove the roots, and also noticed that the plaster surface had been damaged also. However, I don't remember that those black algae spots resulted in slightly raised bumps of disfigured calcium surrounding the smooth plaster. So that is why I am not absolutely sure about this diagnosis.

Regardless of what caused the discolored spotting, the advice I gave NewB was that sanding was the best method to remove the raised, disfigured, and discolored calcium spots. And that no type of acid treatment would accomplish that, but would only age the entire pool plaster surface. The current sanding that NewB has performed has not exposed the underlying gunite or substrate. It has not damaged the plaster surface, but in fact has simply removed the disfigured and discolored spots and left a very smooth and non-discolored finish. It looks slightly different than the surrounding areas only because there is not a very thin cream layer that troweling of plaster often leaves on top. I believe that when the pool is filled that those areas will be barely visible, and a lot better in appearance than how it appeared before the sanding.

Power Sanding can be performed with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper and will make the plaster surface very smooth and dense. Acid treatments will only make the plaster rougher and more porous. One exception to that is when the pool has calcium scaling uniformly everywhere. Then an acid treatment can be an effective way to remove the scale and making the plaster smooth again. Of course, it needs to be done properly which is not easy to do.

Removing the many, many discolored spots will take a lot of sanding and work, but it will be a very good way to make his pool look much better. Since the weather is cool currently, and that the older plaster surface is fully cured, then leaving it drained for a few more days to perform that work will not harm the plaster. Hopefully there isn't a high water level around that pool area to be concerned about.
Lastly, I believe that NewB's plaster pool will last many more years before needing to re-plaster.

Last edited:
Thank you again OnBalance, and many other TFP users!
I will update pictures once I finish to sand, and after filling water!

BTW, I started to sand with orbital sander with 80 grit sand paper. However because it took so long to remove the spots, I changed to 60 and again to 40 grit.
Still It takes long to remove it.
After sanding, I touched the surface, and it was not rough.
However if it is necessary, after removing the spots, I'm thinking to sand again with finer sand paper to make it smoother.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.