Staining From Low CH?

Feb 6, 2018
Conroe TX area
Hello,
Can low calcium make staining easier? My neighbor has a oak tree and sometimes acorns drop into the bottom and leave small brown stains. These esaily come out over a week or with calhypo. Anyways, will a CH of 150 or less cause this?
FC 3.5
CC 3.5
TA 90
CH 132 (I am going to add 10 lbs after it stops raining)
CYA 36
PH 7.7

I have actually decided to get a 2006C test kit, will order soon.

Once you get the Taylor kit and run your tests, post them up. The results you show there are not from a proper test kit.

But, no, CH does not effect how something stains. At that low CH, if real, you are close to beginning to dissolve your plaster.

Okay, thank you. Do you have an idea as to how how long I can safely wait to add the calcium chloride? The rain here has just been nonstop every other day and I am having to constantly drain good balanced water from the pool. I do not wish to add any chemical if I am going to have to do it again in a few days and spend even more.
Also, just out of curiosity, how is it you know that the numbers are not from a recommended test kit? I do use a digital pH meter, in case that was a parameter you based that on.
Thanks much

Also, just out of curiosity, how is it you know that the numbers are not from a recommended test kit? I do use a digital pH meter, in case that was a parameter you based that on.
Thanks much
I have no horse in this race,and only been a member for a short time.
but your cya would be 40 , and anytime your cc is over .1 you have a problem.
your ph is in range but thinking it should be a little lower.
Your CH is low but you know that already

As far as knowing about your test lit, you have posted in separate threads, and in your sig your not using one.
Even tho I am new here,I do have experience in running two large pools for the YMCA, and this was back in the 80's.
Testing then was way different, but I still used for the time, a quality test kit.

The mods here and the senior posters so to speak are only trying to help, but they have one rule, in that you must have a quality test kit.
No one here makes money off those kits (or if they do it's a very small amount) , the people replying to the many post here are not paid for their time, are trying to help but have every right to request each pool owner have a proper test kit.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, it's your pool, and you can do what you like with it, but your not going to get the help your after without following the basic request of posting numbers with a required test kit.

Just my 2 cents

Your CH, CYA & pH results are impossibilities when using one of the recommended kits, so that is a give away you did not use one.

I would make it a point to add calcium and balance CSI as soon as the weather allows.

but have every right to request each pool owner have a proper test kit.
I will just add one small correction here. It’s really not that we have a right to request one of the recommended test kits, it’s the fact that we need to be able to trust the numbers we are given in order to make recommendations.

Pool owners are allowed to use any methods they want, but I will not make recommendations based on pool store testing. I have proven for myself how wrong they can be.

In this case the answer is easy, CH has nothing to do with the stains. Leaves, acorns, sticks or other organic matter will stain the pool and it has nothing to do with the CH level. It’s best to get organic matter out of the pool as quickly as possible, but as has been observed normal chlorine levels will usually take these stains away in short order.

Two cents are not, I still appreciate feedback. What helped sell me on a test kit due to store inaccuracy is watching an employee at a local pool store sell someone a bottle of liquid stabilizer.
Blazer58-did you need to add chlorine more frequently back when you ran the YMCA pools? I did not think CYA existed or was as widely used then, especially for an indoor pool.

Blazer58-did you need to add chlorine more frequently back when you ran the YMCA pools? I did not think CYA existed or was as widely used then, especially for an indoor pool.
CYA has been around a long, long time. The original scientific papers that the TFP system is based on (CYA/FC) were from the 70’s.

Yes we used cya, but back then we dumped it right in the big DE filter tanks.
As far as chlorine we kept it on the high side maybe 10 or so, its been a long time. PH was kept around 7.5
When we had to "shock" the pool we would be dumping 5 gal. containers in at a pop.

There was very little difference on how (back then) we maintained the 2 pools. Just on a lager scale

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.