Stained Steps

Jun 9, 2017
Hopwood, pa
Hi, I just finished a successful slam - and passed the three parameters test (clear, no CC, overnight hold). I am somewhat high on TA and working to lower by lowing PH and aerating. It is gradually coming down. Now I need to get to work on my step stains. Vitamin C does clear it. I had this trouble last year, used citric acid and poly-fil in basket. Ended the season with bright white steps. Also drained water below return for winter. They were yellow/orange when I opened. I had water tested for metals last year several times - and no metal ever showed up. Has anyone had similar experience or have advice on how I can do this the right way. My previous process was lower chlorine, add citric acid, filter out with poly-fil, then bring chlorine back up.

I’ve had the exact same experience. I don’t have a solution, but following to see if the experts have one.

Hi There. I'm pretty new to actually taking care of my pool myself. However, I too had a zero metal result from Leslie's pool test results, however my pool liner was absolutely horrible with at least 30% of the liner heavily stained, including the steps. Vitamin C immediately removed the stains, so I purchased ascorbic acid 5lbs, for about 50.00. 98% of the stains are lifted and all within 24 hours. I had found rust coming from underneath the deep end latter, so I have not put it back in. I also put CULator in my skimmer and poly batting in my pump basket. Neither have turned color yet though ... so we shall see.

Citric acid and Ascorbic (Pure viatmin C) are slightly different. It is my understanding Citric acid works better on copper stains. Vitamin C does not clear copper stains. I could be wrong, but that is the research I have found so far.

If Citric acid works on iron/rust stains then I am going to buy the pure citric acid instead!

I'm just not clear on if there is another step (beside the CULator and poly batting to collect the iron that has been lifted. I just completed the 48 hour treatment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.