Stabilizer turned plaster and tile dark blue??

The bill just arrived from when I filled up my pool after the pebble sheen refinish: almost $600!

I don't think there are any laws per se from draining and refilling a pool but the rates are high as the water is tiered much like electricty not to mention, well, not very environmentally sound with the extreme drought the whole state is in.

I hope you check in and stop the drain wherever it is at and let us help you first.

Wow...think it cost me $75 to fill my pool last summer...this blue mess has left streaks and ugly patches where it didn't stain. I am going to have water tested, repaint, and fill next summer..this pool had sat empty for probably 6 years before I filled it..has old copper pipes which may need to be replaced also...I am slowly draining..using pool water to water lawn and plants..its triple digit heat where I live... And I'm very environmentally aware!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got the water tested..the chlorine 0, cyanuric 200, ph 7, base demand 50 and copper 5..need to bring in more water for more tests..they recommended we drain the pool, use chlorine and water to scrub the pool to get rid of blue and fill with clean water, then use additives to ensure proper levels.

Fill back up until all blue is covered. Do AA treatment. Use sequestrant to keep from stains coming back. Or drain. But you need to get the stain off the tile first and the easiest way I know is with the water in the pool.

I've got it drained about half way so I'm going to continue to drain over next few weeks..using pool water to water property...hopefully I can get stain off tiles..then will either fill it back up or paint..depending on what it looks like..

Sure appreciate everyone's help..from now on..will test water myself and not depend on pool service!! Leslie's pools was a big help with the water testing..

A base demand of 50 means that your pH is very low. The high CYA and low pH are typical of heavy tab use over a long time without addressing the pH or TA loss due to the acidity of the trichlor tabs.

Most likely, the low pH has seriously corroded the copper pipes and caused the high copper levels.

CYA should never have been added.

The stains are probably due to various copper compounds including copper cyanurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wildwun, the creation of copper cyurnate was likely a perfect storm of high cya, high copper levels coupled with uncontrolled ph. Once you've replaced the water and get a proper test kit and adopt TFP maintenance methods, you may be able to control your parameters to avoid ripping up all the lines ;)

But to really undertake the task at hand, which will include finishing up on your water replacement to reduce cya to 30-50, and hopefully reduce your copper dramatically, you will need to do an ascorbic acid treatment and use metal sequestrant (the two brands recommended here are Jack's Magic and Metal Magic.)

And to do any of that which requires accurate monitoring of chlorine, ph, etc., you will need one of the the proper test kits - Taylor k2006 or tft100, available at http:http://www.tfttestkits.net

You would also benefit from a copper test like Lamotte's, and might want to look into Culator, which is supposed to help physically remove copper from the water.

Since you may want to repaint and you seem comfortable having the pool empty (though I myself would not) you could try physically cleaning the surface with ascorbic acid. But if the copper is coming from your pipes, you will still need to test, balance, and sequester your water thereafter to manage the copper load and avoid staining events.

Whichever way you go, let us know how we can help!

A base demand of 50 means that your pH is very low. The high CYA and low pH are typical of heavy tab use over a long time without addressing the pH or TA loss due to the acidity of the trichlor tabs.

Most likely, the low pH has seriously corroded the copper pipes and caused the high copper levels.

CYA should never have been added.

The stains are probably due to various copper compounds including copper cyanurate.

yes, totally agree with this. was thinking the same thing when he showed the acid demand the presence of copper pipes.

copper level of 5ppm confirms that. copper pipes are not a problem if you keep your pH within range. low pH is very corrosive to copper (and other metals too).

with those copper levels and history of an empty pool (so no floating concerns), I would proceed with finishing off the full drain and refill and then start fresh using the TFP methods, with keeping a close eye on your pH

An acid demand of 50 is equivalent to needing to add 80 lbs of pH up in your 50,000 gallon pool to get the pH up to 7.5

That much sodium carbonate would raise the TA by 180 ppm. I would estimate your pH to be between 3 and 4.

Note: I am not suggesting that you add pH up (sodium carbonate). Your water would be very difficult to recover without draining and refilling or RO (Reverse Osmosis). As noted, draining and refilling can risk floating the pool if the ground water is too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.