spring hill fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I purchased Pool Mate brand from Amazon. I added 7 lbs to get my salt H2O pool to 70ppm. Within 2 months its zero. Shouldn't it last longer than that?

You would have needed enough water taken out of the pool (draining, overflow, etc) to reduce your CYA by enough to get to the ranges the test does not reach. You either have a testing error or the volume of CYA you added was not as much as you think.

You would have needed enough water taken out of the pool (draining, overflow, etc) to reduce your CYA by enough to get to the ranges the test does not reach. You either have a testing error or the volume of CYA you added was not as much as you think.
So I'm not nuts. That good. I just got this supply of r0013 from ebay. Could be fake?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have some CYA left? You could mix a rough reference sample to run a sanity check with your reagent.

The measuring spoon for the DPD powder might be a good size for that. Not sure about the exact dimensions of the Taylor spoon, but the spoon that came with my Australian Clear Choice Labs kit is 0.05ml. A spoonful of CYA should be about 0.05g to 0.1g, depending how heaped it is. Dissolve that in 1l of water (give it a day to fully dissolve), and you should have a "standard" sample of about 50-100ppm. That should be good enough to verify that your batch of R0013 is OK.

I assume that you verified back then that after adding CYA you really ended up where PoolMath told you you'd get to. Not that the CYA you added was a dud, rather than the test reagent...

Do you have some CYA left? You could mix a rough reference sample to run a sanity check with your reagent.

The measuring spoon for the DPD powder might be a good size for that. Not sure about the exact dimensions of the Taylor spoon, but the spoon that came with my Australian Clear Choice Labs kit is 0.05ml. A spoonful of CYA should be about 0.05g to 0.1g, depending how heaped it is. Dissolve that in 1l of water (give it a day to fully dissolve), and you should have a "standard" sample of about 50-100ppm. That should be good enough to verify that your batch of R0013 is OK.

I assume that you verified back then that after adding CYA you really ended up where PoolMath told you you'd get to. Not that the CYA you added was a dud, rather than the test reagent...
Thats a super idea. Making a sample batch. Im not going to add any additional chems until I make a few more tests. I was going to take a sample to the pool store to have it cross referenced. Haven't been there in a while.
When I see my chlorine level drop my first thought is to test my CYA. I then check it again two weeks later. I'll then see my FC AND TC behaving properly according to the SWG'S output. I've had it at 50% for the summer with FC at 7ppm and pool temp at 89°. The pool temp is now 70° SWG still at 50% and my FC is still 7ppm. I thought it would be higher. So thats why I tested the CYA. Honestly I feel that if my CYA was really 0 my FC would be at 3ppm. Ill keep you posted.

Reactions: mgtfp
I wouldn't rely on pool store testing, especially for CYA. They have been known to say it's 8 when it's actually 250, and they've been known to say it's 30 when it's definitely 0 (testing fill water, which never has CYA).
I understand how the group feels about pool stores. Ive been to this place before. Same guy. I believe he is correct. He was using the same reagents. Tyalor brand that is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.